Help - Pasture Calves and Cows with Ring Worm

Help Support Steer Planet:

NHR

Ok, all my cows and calves in the pasture have ring worm now. Two of the calves have it around their eyes. How do I get rid of this infestation of fungi?

pigguy

if there not show cattle just let it run it's toll. it will go away eventully

NHR

a couple of the calves will be show heifers in a couple of months, I just hate seeing them out there like that. I was thinking of bringing the calves in this weekend and washing them with medicated shampoo and using Tinactin on them, but what would I put around their eyes?

red

Use the Clorox Bleach pen around their eyes. It's a thicker paste & doesn't run. I've had great success w/ them.

Red

Jill

I have always heared that cattle only get ring worm once, I have always wished ours would get it around May but they don't usually start til Nov-Dec when we are ready to start showing.  Good Luck

red

Jill, I've heard that too but know I've had cows that have gotten it more than once. I've gotten it myself more than once.
Wonder if that's true or an old wives tale?

Red

renegade

I know if the horses or we get it Iodine takes it away real quick. The iodine shampoo works real well if you have a lot of them.

DL

NHR - if you have sun where you are then that should take care of it! I would be inclined to let it run its course -  usually cattle get ringworm only once but cattle can get ringworm that prefers another species (ie goat, sheep etc) and of course ringworm is zoonotic so you can get it - I think people who are immunocompromised in any way (elderly, very young, AIDS, chemo, on corticosteroids, etc) should be very careful in dealing with ringworm - always wear gloves.

justintime

Where I live, we get more hours of sunlight than most of North America. We see ringworm on occasion on pastures and one of the remedies is " sunlight"... Go figure. It only appears once every several years so it is hard to understand what set of conditions allows for ringworm to raise it's head and attack. I have never seen a cow get ringworm more than once in it's ife. I have had it more than once myself, so I am thinking that humans do not develop the same immunity. All I know is, if it is as painful for a calf or cow to have ringworm as it is when I get it, this would certainly reduce gains and increase stress on the animal.
Last winter, I found a spot of ringworm on my arm. I immediately went to my doctor and he gave me some medicated ointment to put on it. I tried to tell him that I had never had any luck killing the ringworm  with this stuff before, but he said it was the best thing available( I usually give my doctor the benifit of doubt that he is smarter than me, but I really don't think he is a " ringworm expert".) After a few days of faithfully using the ointment, I could see that the ringworm was still growing rapidly and was now several times larger than when I had first found it. I made an" executive decision " and went to the show box and brought out the bottle of Sullivan's Fungus Fighter. I soaked gauze in  it and put it on the ringworm and covered it with a large bandage. It stopped growing immediately and was completely dead in 3 days. Now kids..... don't try this at home. Just because I didn't die doesn't mean you won't.... Come to think of it... maybe that was what made my hair disappear!

afhm

I've been told 6cc of Kerosene down the throat works to kill it, but won't prevent it.  I'm gonna try it the next time we have an outbreak.

Jill

You know I heard that a couple of years ago, and we just haven't been brave enough to try it, let us know how that works for ya.  ;)