Help Please

Help Support Steer Planet:

BudE

Thanks again for the comments.

I'll provide some more information on the treatment and symptoms.  Our observation could not find any swelling or evidence of any injury.  Her front hoofs both looked clear of any ulcers or wounds and there were no "hot spots".  With your finger you could push on the bottom of the hoofs and not get any kind of negative responds, i.e. she didn't pull her hoofs back.  The U of I put her on the table and trimmed the front hoofs and again they looked good.  They did use a hoof tester and find some tenderness and I believe that's where they developed the laminitis diagnosis.  I then pushed for other test basically to rule out other problems and increase the probability that it was laminities.  Today will be her third and last Banamine shot.  The heifer is bred and my understanding dex may cause abortion so we have not used that.  I also built her a wading pool and herfchic is tying her in ice water for an hour 3 to 4 times per day.  I believe both front hoofs were affected even though at times she seemed to favor one over the other. 

DL  How long do we need to wait between rounds of banamine?  I like the idea of starting another round as we head to Jr. Nationals but I don't want to do anything to risk the long term health of the heifer.

PLKR  You asked earlier and I missed it, yes this is the Harvie heifer.

DL

BudE - would you build me a wading pool - awful darn hot here ;D

Sounds like they did all the right things and the heifer is on the road to recovery...check with your vet, but banamine can be given once a day in cattle - so perhaps the night before you leave and the night after arrival should do it -