HELP PLEASE

Help Support Steer Planet:

sw

Well it is breeding time for us, we will be AIing on the 18th of November. I am wanting to feed a 15% breeding feed and some really good mineral so it will maybe help us out on our conception.  I have not started feeding it yet but was just wondering if it is too late for the feed and mineral to even do any good or should I still feed it.  Note that my cows are out on grass and I have been feeding a little bit(not much) of a 20% cattle cube and I also have a pasture mineal block out for them. Thanks a lot for any replies

red

feed a good loose mineral. I like either Vita Ferm or Moorman's product. Make sure you keep it filled up & dry. Also provide a salt block. It's never too late to start a good program.

Red

fluffer

I agree with red.  Get a good loose mineral.  We also use the same brand as red.  Ask your local co op and they should be able to get you the correct mineral. 
As for the feed, it depends on your cows what to feed.  What are the body score conditions?  If they are a little thin you will want to feed them a little bit.  If they are in good condition or fat you may not.  I suppose it depends on your grass situation.  We are VERY dry here in Ohio, so we would have to feed our cows.  Now in the spring when we AI about 80 cows, we do not feed them.  We keep them on a good mineral program though, and make sure that we manage them well though the winter so they aren't thin. 
I highly doubt it will hurt you to feed your cows, it just depends on their body scores if it is beneficial to feed them.  Good luck!  Do you breed off natural heats or use a sync. program? :)

Fluffer

Will

My experience is that unless the cows are really fat they will always breed easier on an increasing plain of nutrition.  And remember your Grass may be going or already dormant.  In my area we graze a lot of Bermuda and this time of year it is big , tough and lower quality than in the spring.  We always add a little protein to our fall calvers just prior to breeding season.  It seems to shorten the calving season.  The last four falls our calving season has been less than 35 days on about 60 cows.

dori36

I like a good loose mineral, too.  I don't like blocks because they have to lick and lick to meet their needs.  I feed Vigortone 32S+.  Best stuff I've ever found.  It's never "too late".

AAOK

red said:
feed a good loose mineral. I like either Vita Ferm or Moorman's product. Make sure you keep it filled up & dry. Also provide a salt block. It's never too late to start a good program.

Red

Follow most of Red's advice.  A quality mineral should be available to all cattle, Free Chioce, year round.  Get rid of the mineral block.  They do not do supply the desired mineral intake.  Do not have a salt block available to the cattle.  A quality mineral contains all the salt they need.  If your cattle are licking on a salt block, they may not consume enough mineral. 

Latest posts