Help please...

Help Support Steer Planet:

showsister

My heifer dances really bad n the cute..and it makes it complicated to clip or fit her...she does it when she is n her stall too.she just scoots her foot up and back to stay comfortable I guess anyone know of a way to break her of the habit!?

leanbeef

Tie her head up for a short while after feeding both morning & night, just for 15-20 minutes at first, and gradually leave her tied up short for longer periods. It's like when we have to stand up for a while when we're not used to it...we get tired & restless quickly. We shift our weight and want to sit down. That's all she's doing... If you can get her conditioned to being up with her head up & on a short lead, I think she'll be much easier to deal with. She'll also show better because she'll be more comfortable in the show ring, too!

showsister

I already do that but I leave her for about 6 hours since she will be going to Louisville...

iowabeef

Make sure you have a really good, soft mat in the chute.  I  bought a thick new padded one and it made a world of difference.

CANsteer

iowabeef said:
Make sure you have a really good, soft mat in the chute.  I  bought a thick new padded one and it made a world of difference.
the padded floor makes a world of difference! i got one for my chute in  the winter and the steers stand perfectly still in it now. Before they used to swing all over the place.