HELP!! Shotgun Bellied

Help Support Steer Planet:

dagrate1s

I have a really nice steer that is a little shotgun bellied or tight gutted. He weighs 1305 and we have 30 days til our show. Any suggestions on how to drop their bellies in 30 days? He is currently eating 3 lbs. of steam rolled oats, 3 lbs. of regular grain, and 4-5 lbs. of beet pulp twice daily with free choice hay. If your suggestion could be taken as unethical by some then you can personal message me, I am just looking for a fix if possible.

Craig

vc

What kind of hay are you feeding? After the county fair each year I usually end up bringing a couple steers home for our buyer, feed them until their appointment comes. what I have noticed is that when we start feeding free choice 3-way grain hay they really get that full look you want. Try feeding them some grain hay with the feed and see if that does not help. I think since its a little coarser than the grass hay it helps give them some guts. I would give him at least a flake if not 2 to see if you don't get some improvement. I know that some people give alfalfa when at the fair to give them that full look.

ShowStopper

What about Kent's Fill 'em Up? Its a new product out there and I have personally never tired it but would consider it if the need be.