Help! steer off feed!

Help Support Steer Planet:

brenn

okay so, i went out to feed my steer on Sunday evening and he wouldn't touch his grain; he only ate the hay. And then Monday he still refused to eat his grain so bought a bag of calf manna and added a small amount to grain in hope that he would eat it but he still wouldn't eat. Today he wouldn't eat again. i don't know what to do. my fair weigh in is on June 14th and my steer has to weigh at least 1000lbs. so i need help! thanks

fed_champions

He could be sick, have u checked his temperature? If he's not sick your feed store should carry a product call Rumen-aid, or something like it, the owner will know. Or u could give him two sulfa boluses and some b-12 in his mouth, this should increase his appetite.

GoWyo

Don't let him have too much or he will get acidosis and go off feed, then he will feel better after a couple of days and get too much again and go off his feed again -- endless cycle.  Back him off to less than half what he was eating for a couple of days.  Get some probiotic (I like Appetite Express in 5 lb. bags) into him and slowly work him up in his feed amounts (around a half lb. per feeding max).  You might try adding a noontime feeding along with morning and evening to gradually increase his intake.  Don't get in a hurry or it will cost you lbs. gain in the longer term.  Let him have free choice grass hay to keep his rumen working right.