help & suggestions for fencing

Help Support Steer Planet:

AndersonCattle

What type of fencing would you suggest for my new pens and alleyways? Just figured I would ask around. I am thinking 2 7/8 verticals and top rail and 2 inch  under that. What is eeveryone using or wished they used?

Our pens and alley ways have 2 7/8 post cemented in. 2 3/8 inch pipe saddled on top of the 2 7/8.  2 3/8 inch on top is plenty strong, cheaper than 2 7/8, less cutting and welding for the saddle and looks better IMO. I have 5 rods 3/4 for the fence and a single rod between the post welded vertical and a couple shovels of cement in the ground to stouten it up. The post have round holes cut thru them to slide the rods thru and welded. Better than welding rods on the outside. Sucker rods are hard steel and the weld may break after a while on the outside.

The gate frames are 2 1/16 pipe which is lighter, plenty strong and you can slide a piece of 2 inch over the pipe to make hinges. It fits good. Depending how long the gate, one 2 1/16 in the middle for strength and holes cut in the pipe to slide in six 3/4 rods. A 3/4 rod welded to the top corner diagonal down to the other corner. I use the spring loaded latches like on a WW squeeze chute. Welding material stores are starting to sell them. I made mine. That type latch may not be good up north where there is more icing. My coral is pretty tall but cattle don't even think about going over. That is how we do it. Good Luck.