Help sun burned steer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Tex

One of the steers we slicked got to much sun and is burned pretty bad.  Anyone have any suggestions on what to do for the poor guy?  His skin is really flaking now.  He will show nest Friday in Houston.

Cattledog

Well, I've never had a sunburned calf but I use revive to stop flaking.  It should moisturize the skin and promote healing.

chambero

I wouldn't do much more than put some kind of leave in conditioner on him just to keep his skin moist.  Don't wash him much.

steermomintx

Ok I know this sounds silly but rub him down with Mayonaise let it sit for a few minutes and then wash it off.  Mayo has lots of oil in it and it moisturizes the skin really well.  We had a steer we did this to in San Antonio and it worked like a charm.  It also makes the hair look velvety. 

MAKE SURE YOU BUY MAYONAISE NOT MIRICLE WHIP!!  Hope it helps.

shortyjock89

We had a sunburnt baby calf once.  We got a BIG thing of aloe and rubbed it all over the calf until it didn't appear "wet" anymore.  Did that, and kept him inside for a week or so, and he felt a LOT better.  He was mostly white, and you could see his pink skin that was turned to red right down his top. 

red

AAOK told me about Banana Cream earlier. Maybe he can direct you were to buy it. I really like it.

Red

AAOK

red said:
AAOK told me about Banana Cream earlier. Maybe he can direct you were to buy it. I really like it.

Red

The Banana Cream is fantastic stuff for ALL kinds of topical treatment.  For burns, stings, bites, rashes, Poison Ivy, cuts & scratches, you will not find anything better.  The down side is the price.  I think the 16oz. tub is $35.00.  I just noticed the website is under construction, but the phone numbers are listed. 

Tex

Thanks for the info.  Mayonaise?  That is a good one I guess?  I slicked earlier this year someone told that made the hair look velvety if you let it re grow then shaved it again.

steermomintx

Tex said:
Thanks for the info.  Mayonaise?  That is a good one I guess?  I slicked earlier this year someone told that made the hair look velvety if you let it re grow then shaved it again.
I know the mayo sounds weird but our steer for San Antonio had horrible dandruff and someone told me to use the mayo and it worked great and his hair coat looked really good.  Like I said before I think it is the oil in the mayo that helps.

Tex

We opened our own branch of the Mayo Clinic this after noon.  My wife said she used mayo on her hair at one time.  Amazing what you learn after 18 years of marriage.  We just put it on and letting it set for awhile.  I will tell you how the poor guy looks after we wash it out.  How long did you leave it in Steer Mom?

txshowlamb

Good luck making him look the best in a 6 days! Thats gonna be hard good luck at Houston!
Brittney

fairin.smith

steermomintx said:
Tex said:
Thanks for the info.  Mayonnaise?  That is a good one I guess?  I slicked earlier this year someone told that made the hair look velvety if you let it re grow then shaved it again.
I know the mayo sounds weird but our steer for San Antonio had horrible dandruff and someone told me to use the mayo and it worked great and his hair coat looked really good.  Like I said before I think it is the oil in the mayo that helps.
we have a steer w/ real BAD dandruff we bought reg. human shampoo then took human conditioner and rub that real low and then let it sit and took a comb and worked it up sides angles and down

is anyone good at clipping Herfords? ??? :eek:

steermomintx

Tex said:
We opened our own branch of the Mayo Clinic this after noon.  My wife said she used mayo on her hair at one time.  Amazing what you learn after 18 years of marriage.  We just put it on and letting it set for awhile.  I will tell you how the poor guy looks after we wash it out.  How long did you leave it in Steer Mom?

Sorry I have not logged on until tonight.  We left it on for about 5 minutes. How does he look?