Help! Underweight calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

april

We need help quick. We picked up two new shorthorn cows and after washing them we can see they are skinny. They are supposed to be about 6 months old but only look to be about 300 pounds. Previous owner said they were vaccinated and dewormed. I am not sure what to do. We are beginners here. We have only had the calves 2 days and today they did not eat any grain. Offering 9 pounds a day. I have been looking into adding the calf manna to help but not sure that is best. Can you please help. Line out the basic steps for this beginner. We have called the vet to come out for a check up.

vc

What feed are you feeding, fat and protein content?
I would back off the grain, just good hay for a few days and then start them out slow, 3 pounds each a feeding, with plenty of grass hay. Once they clean it up real well, up the feed a 1/2 pound a feeding. Do this until their up to full feed, (9 pounds a day for 300 pounds) once they are eating the 9 pounds I would look at adding a pound a feeding of Precon or Stabilized rice to their feed (start with a half-pound and work them up to the pound over a few days). I would also hit them with some probios paste, to get them going and then I usually just start giving them the probios powder twice a week.
If they slow down or go off feed skip a feeding and then start them back up, if you are working on increasing feed, and they go off feed or get the skirts back up to where you were before increasing and slowly work them back up.
Remember slow and steady, better to start slow and get them on track then to have the keep going off feed.

april

Thank you so much for helping us.
I did pick up the prosobio paste to help them.
Can you use that too much? I was thinking of giving the 10 ml every 3-4 days for a few weeks.
Right now we are using honor show from Purina. I picked up some calf manna off other recommendations as well but not sure how to feed it. Thinking of using the 3 pounds of feed for each calf to start but having one pound be the manna. We can’t get them to eat much while we are standing there so we have been leaving the pans out and still I luck. Typically while our calf eat we brush them. But these two just stare at us.

The calves also got antibiotic shot for cough and snot noses tonight and vet will be back Friday.

vc

any change with the calves, calf manna is a very good product and sometimes it will get them to eat because they like the smell.