Help!-What could this be?

Help Support Steer Planet:

the_cowgirl_in_me

This is the second time this has started happining, but the last two times I have given my steer a bath whenever he would move his back legs would go out from under him. Its whenever he moves side to side or forward, his back end pretty much collapses. Both times it was after a bath, the first i was blowing him out when it started, and this time I was about to. After it started happening I put him  out into the pasture and it continued to happen whenever he moved. I took a video and I will figure out a way to get it on here, but in the mean time any ideas of what it could be would be great.

savaged

Age and weight?  How long does it last, and then does he seem completely normal or still unstable (but able to stand and walk).  How long between these events?

sawboss

My oldest son's steer did the same thing last year after he reached about 1100 lbs.  It was always after or during a bath.  My bet would be you are using cold water and he is cramping or spasming in his lower top.  You could see the knot form in the calf's back and if you touched it he would collapse.  Avoid the cold water rinsing and bathing.

the_cowgirl_in_me

8 months would be my guess on age and around 950 on weight. Once he has started doing it its just when he moves, not when standing still. I'm honestly not sure how long it lasted because I went back inside but it was still going it the whole hour I was out there. There was 2 days between when it happened.

I will look for the knot in his back if it happens again..

vc

Sons calf had kidney stones once, son went to rinse him as soon as he got wet he got real wobbly and acted like his gut hurt. We took out of the wash rack hit him with some ban and let him rest, he urinated a little while later and was fine after that, he was running a temp but that passed about the same time. We noticed crystals on his sheath after he had urinated that led us to believe he had some stones.
Breeder also suggested that it may be stones when I called him, recommended water and leave him be. If it did not get better call the vet.
My first thought was nerve damage.

jbh

What kind of shampoo are you using?  Some will react to shampoo or hair dye if they're really sensitive skinned.  If it's not something structural, the kidney stones are something to watch for.....especially if he kicks at his belly or lays down alot.

the_cowgirl_in_me

Yesterday was just Mane and Tail shampoo, which I have used before and he didnt start doing it. What do you give for the kidney stones?