Help with a bull! Who should I use?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowcrazy

So, as usual, I have waited until the last minute to decide who to breed one of our cows to. She is out of Pacer and Phildon XS cow. This is not a great picture, but that is her 2 month old Gus heifer beside her. My semen choices are: Ace of Diamonds, Salute, Kaboom, Gus, Smooth Criminal, Vortec, Sinister, Tonic, Deadwood, Red Vision, Venture's Pride or Radio Active. This is the semen I currently have in my tank. Keeping in mind that a small, healthy baby is my first consideration but would also like something with show potential, who would you breed her to?  Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• lola.jpg
    lola.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 166
  • lola2.jpg
    lola2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 148

DFSC

Simmyman67 thanks for the response. What does Radio Active add to his calves? What type of birth weight? Thanks!

OH Breeder

I am not a fan of Ace of Diamonds- he can suck the gut right out of one. Salute for me has way to large of BW. There are plenty of Canadians here seem to have used him heavily up north.

I have a a Kaboom female I like ALOT. Very maternal and feminine nice udder. Vortec should add some overall thickness to her calf. I think the Gus calf at her side looks pretty good personally.

RadioActive is a PHC but is more clubby. The Radioactives that I have seen they tend to trend toward Double Stuff type of cattle in appearance. Radioactives maternal side is pretty good- you have Pa Do Boxer and Cujo on his dam. The Xray visions I have seen have always been nice cattle from show perspective. I do not know enough about the others except for Tonic to say. Tonic for us carried ALOT of BW on our cows. He was not good mix. We had better luck with Sonny bred cattle. I am not sure if BW from TOnic is coming from the Eagle family but can't say I would use anything Tonic again.
If it were me and you are shooting of a steer i would go the Vortec or Radioactive route. May get a little BW but shouldn't be crazy high. JMO :-\

I would love to hear folks comments on Smooth Criminal, Sinister, Red Vision, Deadwood and Venture's Pride.