Help with a torn udder!

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowcrazy

I had a cow give birth to a JPJ  calf today.  Her back udder is HUGE and she has a verticle slice about 3 inches long on it.  Unfortunately, she gave birth in a area with lots of sharp cedar branches. What is the best way to treat the cut?  I know that I will probably have to milk the udder, which I am sure will not be easy with the slice on it.  Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Reinken Cattle Co.

We had this happen to one of our cows I wasn't sure what to do it sliced it almost half way threw and milk was coming out a bit... fortunately we let it take its course and it healed enough to close that off from leaking but she no longer can milk off that quarter she is a very strong milker though and does fine.

OH Breeder

The first thing I would do if I were you and you can, pull her in the barn. Clean the cut with betadine or dilute betadine. Their is a topical cream we use on all cuts called Bag Balm you can get it at TSC. Put that on the cut after cleaning. If it looks like its in the teat canal then you may want to call a vet to have him suture. He can put topical lidocaine or inject to suture. You can maintain the integrity of the teat if you get to it pretty quick.

I am not a vet nor profess to be one.

cowcrazy

Thank you for your help! Tomorrow I am going to try to get her in the barn and put her in the chute.  I plan on trying to clean up the cut and treat it with bag balm.  The calf is trying to nurse that udder, so hopefully the udder will go down in size.  Do you think the bag balm will taste bad, causing the calf to not nurse that udder?

OH Breeder

You may have to strip the udder to reduce the tension on the cut. It will be painful. I am not sure the calf will nurse it with the bag balm on it. Bag Balm is like neosporin for humans. They make a Neosporin with pain relief that might help reduce the pain at the sight. Again, I am not a vet. ;)

DLD

If you need to milk out that teat, use a milk tube.  They look like a big, blunt, hollow needle that you insert in the teat and they just allow the milk to drain out.  Much easier than milking it out by hand, and won't cause any irritation to the injury.  You should be able to get them at your Co-op or wherever you get your animal health supplies.

cowcrazy

Thank you all for your help.  I hauled her into the vets office today.  There was a flap of skin which could not be sutured, so they had to cut it off.  Gave her some antibiotics and cleaned it up real well and sent her home. Hopefully, the calf will start nursing her some and keep the udder from getting too engorged. Anyway, we have a great little bull calf that is healthy.  That is something to celebrate!

chiangus

All I got to say is "OWWW" that would hurt, I can imagine tearing one of my man nipples

cowcrazy

The vet gave her some lidocaine, so she didn't take it too bad.  We were lucky the cut was up close to her bag, so the calf can still nurse the udder.