Help with infection??

Help Support Steer Planet:

steermomintx

We have a neighboring family that we help out next door.  They called this morning and said they thought their steer was sick.  I went over and took a look at him.  He had been banded for casteration, he has an infection, it is very obvious.  My question is what antibiotic should I use??  I am going to clean it out and put some medicine in the wound for wound care but I am just wondering what is the right antibiotic to use.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chambero

A combination of LA200 and penicillin will take care of lots of things.  You just have to doctor them on multiple days.

You could also talk to a vet about using one of the high powered antibiotics.  Many are respiratory oriented, but cover a broad spectrum of things.

steermomintx

chambero said:
A combination of LA200 and penicillin will take care of lots of things.  You just have to doctor them on multiple days.

You could also talk to a vet about using one of the high powered antibiotics.  Many are respiratory oriented, but cover a broad spectrum of things.
Thanks chambero, I have some Batryl but was thinking it is more for respiratory, would it fall under the category to help this also??

chambero

This isn't vet advice and I'm not familiar with Batryl, but I bet it wouldn't hurt a bit.  We use Micotil mostly and it seems to work on just about everything - especially footrot.  I'd sure give him some penicillin also to be safe.

I've helped friends clean up messes from banding and a good cleaning with water and betadine, spray with furox, and shots of penicillin took care of them.  Calf isn't going to like it much though.

No idea on tetanus.  We've never given a calf a tetanus shot, but we don't band. 

steermomintx

chambero said:
This isn't vet advice and I'm not familiar with Batryl, but I bet it wouldn't hurt a bit.  We use Micotil mostly and it seems to work on just about everything - especially footrot.  I'd sure give him some penicillin also to be safe.

I've helped friends clean up messes from banding and a good cleaning with water and betadine, spray with furox, and shots of penicillin took care of them.  Calf isn't going to like it much though.

No idea on tetanus.  We've never given a calf a tetanus shot, but we don't band. 
Thanks for the information.  We don't band either and I think this is the reason why.  Have a great weekend!!

showstick09

Maybe this isn't too off subject, but when you do band a calf, how long should it take before they ever fall off? We did this to a calf it seems like almost two months ago and they are still there. You can tell they are dried and shriveled up, but is it possible for new skin to grow around the band and keep them from falling off? Or maybe I am just over-reacting. Thanks!

steermomintx

The steer I am talking about had been banded about a month ago, but I think his came off before it should have and that is why he has the infection.  Like I said before we don't band so I am not sure of the time frame for what is normal.

CAB

It can take 3,4,5 weeks b4 they fall off and it depends on how big the calf is. I've done hundreds of newborns up to a few 1200 pounders. The bigger they are in general, the longer it takers to fall off. On the one that you asked about hair growing back, I would ck to see if possibly the band broke after a period of time. If the band was put on a small calf and the bag is still visible after 2 months, I would get him in if I could and either think that the band broke or pull off the sack when you have him in.
  As far as Tetnus vac is concerned, the proper and correct total protocol would be to give the calf 2 shots. One of anti toxin, which would provide immediate protection that would last up until the vaccine would have time to kick in, so then there it is, the second shot would be the actual vaccination or vaccine product. I personally band almost all of our calves @ day 1, & don't give any shots and most scrotums are gone within a month, some quicker, some longer, but I can honestly say that I have never had to get one back in to work on. I maybe have been very lucky. Now if I'm working on larger cattle, which I do quite a few for friends and neighbors annually, I strongly reccomend giving the anti toxin shot @ least, and tell them that it is their choice as far as the vaccine is concerned. All of the older cattle that I have done have only received one or the other shot. I have seen some older calves get tetanus from banding, but I have also seen calves that the vets work get tetanus also. The best thing would be to give the 2 shots if you're working older cattle. JMO.
  The antibiotics that I would treat the calf with would be LA-200 & long acting pen, that way you should only have to treat him once every 3 days. I would make sure to find out if the calf had anti toxin tetanus or the vac. Vac if it wasn't the vac. Good luck. Brent

steermomintx

CAB said:
  It can take 3,4,5 weeks b4 they fall off and it depends on how big the calf is. I've done hundreds of newborns up to a few 1200 pounders. The bigger they are in general, the longer it takers to fall off. On the one that you asked about hair growing back, I would ck to see if possibly the band broke after a period of time. If the band was put on a small calf and the bag is still visible after 2 months, I would get him in if I could and either think that the band broke or pull off the sack when you have him in.
  As far as Tetnus vac is concerned, the proper and correct total protocol would be to give the calf 2 shots. One of anti toxin, which would provide immediate protection that would last up until the vaccine would have time to kick in, so then there it is, the second shot would be the actual vaccination or vaccine product. I personally band almost all of our calves @ day 1, & don't give any shots and most scrotums are gone within a month, some quicker, some longer, but I can honestly say that I have never had to get one back in to work on. I maybe have been very lucky. Now if I'm working on larger cattle, which I do quite a few for friends and neighbors annually, I strongly reccomend giving the anti toxin shot @ least, and tell them that it is their choice as far as the vaccine is concerned. All of the older cattle that I have done have only received one or the other shot. I have seen some older calves get tetanus from banding, but I have also seen calves that the vets work get tetanus also. The best thing would be to give the 2 shots if you're working older cattle. JMO.
   The antibiotics that I would treat the calf with would be LA-200 & long acting pen, that way you should only have to treat him once every 3 days. I would make sure to find out if the calf had anti toxin tetanus or the vac. Vac if it wasn't the vac. Good luck. Brent
Thanks for the information it is greatly appreciated.  Hope you have a nice weekend!!

DL

Does the steer act sick (ie elevated temperature, off feed, etc) or does he just have a stinky gross infected sac? If the latter removing the stinky mess would probably cure him and systemic antibiotics would not be necessary. If the steer is acting sick that is a different story.

FYI Extra label use of Baytril is not permitted (ie against the law) - please do not use it for this steer. If people keep using Baytril extra label we may lose this drug in the cattle industry.

Re tetanus - cattle are much more resistant to tetanus than other species

yes if banded he should have had a shot of tetanus toxiod - anti- toxin may be overkill - many people do it and if it works for you and it ain't broke CAB I wouldn't mess with it  ;)

OH Breeder

I am not a vet nor do I prescribe to be one. BUt, I would also include some Bantamine with your injections. If will help with a multitude of things. First and foremost it can help with any pain that might have and usually is caused by an infection. It also may help reduce the fever if the calf has one. Only had this happen once. We also do not band any longer. If it looks really bad think about having a vet come and take a look at it. The last thing you want is for it to become systemic or septic.(thru out the body) IF that occurs bad news. I am assuming you already performed a debridement of the dead tissue or removal? My vet is pretty good about infections and prescriptions. It doens't hurt to give them a call.