Help with Reg.

Help Support Steer Planet:

SKF

Back in March we bought a bull calf at a sale in Ga. but the calf came from a breeder in IA. We have called and emailed the breeder several times so that we can reg. the calf but so far no luck. My daughter bought this calf to show so we have to have reg. papers. Anyone else have problems getting a calf reg. after you bought it? If so what did you do? Thanks!!

shortyjock89

If they just don't want to go to the trouble to register the calf, call them and try to get all the info you need on the Dam and Sire, and then fill out your own registration paper.  Then if you need to get a breeding certificate, call the owner of the bull your calf is out of and you will have to probably buy a cert.  Then, send the reg. paper to the breeder, and all he has to do is sign it and he can either send it back to you or the breed association.  We've had trouble with this before and we've found that's the fastest way, but we've also just called the breeder every day for three weeks and they finally sent off for papers.  It can be a real pain in the butt.

SKF

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
If they just don't want to go to the trouble to register the calf, call them and try to get all the info you need on the Dam and Sire, and then fill out your own registration paper.  Then if you need to get a breeding certificate, call the owner of the bull your calf is out of and you will have to probably buy a cert.  Then, send the reg. paper to the breeder, and all he has to do is sign it and he can either send it back to you or the breed association.  We've had trouble with this before and we've found that's the fastest way, but we've also just called the breeder every day for three weeks and they finally sent off for papers.  It can be a real pain in the butt.

I would fill it all out but the breeder will not return our calls or emails.

shortyjock89

Well that just sucks.  I hate it when people are like that, I really don't know how to help you unless the calf was an ET calf and that guy doesn't own the cow.

SKF

One thing I know for sure is that I will not go to that sale next year. I can't stand when you can only get a hold of a breeder is when they are selling a calf and then once it is sold you can't find them anywhere. Drives me crazy!!!

vc

Well then try this, call the breeder again from a different phone # leave a message that you are looking to purchase some cattle, and see if they do not call you back.

stumpy

Try calling the breed association and having them contact the breeder. If you still ahve a sale catalog that represented the calf as registerable that will help a lot. I am not sure what breed you are dealing with but I bet a call to the association will be your best bet for action.
Best of luck,
Jeff

Jill

Sorry to hear that, we have only had that happen 1 time bought one of the top selling heifers out of the sale advertised as registerable and she is now on her second calf and we still don't have papers on her, finally gave up trying.  I don't have a good answer, I know we won't buy from that sale anymore, it leaves a really bitter taste toward the breeder,  every association is different, what breed is he?

Show Heifer

I like VC idea. Another idea depending on how valuable the papers are worth. Have a lawyer call them. Shouldn't cost much over $75 and I am guessing might get results! 
Or call the sale manager.

Remember, squeeky wheel gets the grease, and usually anything else that they may or may not be deserving of.

herefordfootball

I would definitely try calling from a different phone #, saying you're so and so looking to buy some calves, and then once your on the phone tell him to get you registration papers or you're going to have problems. It is the breeder's responsibility to get reg. papers for the exhibitors if he is advertising the calf as purebred. If all else fails, you've got his phone #, address, and name...... Make things happen however you see fit.  ;)

CPL

Aren't there a few SP members from Iowa? Maybe they could pay him a visit!!  O0

Really though, I'd probably contact the Association, let them know the problem and then try to get a hold of one of your Board of Directors and have them phone the breeder. Maybe you have Field Representatives that could do that is well.

I wouldn't give up yet. You still have many viable options.

vcsf

Just curious did you buy the calf from the breeder or original owner directly or was a trader involved.  This can make a difference as what a trader says may not be what the original owner said with regards to the availability of papers.

SKF

I am going to contact the association tomorrow. I will try contacting the breeder again but I had someone PM me and I found out that I am not the only one who has had this problem with this breeder. The calf was bought at a sale that breeder cosigned his calves to. We talked to the breeder before we bought the calf but once we bought him that was the last we ever heard from him. I know we can reg. the calf as a Chi so I will call and find out what we can do. I really don't know what the big deal is with getting the reg. done. I just feel bad my daughter spent her money to buy this calf because she wanted a bull to show and then to use later in her herd. So far she has missed out on two shows because of the reg. papers.

yousesteers

call the sales management they should be able to help and should at least beware of the situation they will most likely help because they wan tthere sale to succeed

forbes family farms

What i would do is go talk to the guy in person. And don't leave until you can get the calf reg. Good luck i know how your daughter feels that almost happend to me.

shortyjock89

That's gonna be hard when they live in Florida, and the calf came from Iowa.

DLD

Did you buy the calf with the specific understanding that the breeder would paper him, especially as a bull?  If the breeder/consignor or sale manager specifically told you that they would paper him, or it was stated in the sale catalog or listing that either all lots or that specific lot would be papered, then I'd contact the sale manager.  Unless it was breed assocition sanctioned sale, I doubt that contacting the association would do much good, but it might be worth a try.  If however, it was never specified that your particular calf would be papered, you prob'ly don't have much recourse.

These days, you can't just assume that registration papers go with every calf you buy, even if they're listed as purebred or "registerable".  An awful lot of breeders these days just won't mess with papers...

Jill

DLD said:
These days, you can't just assume that registration papers go with every calf you buy, even if they're listed as purebred or "registerable".  An awful lot of breeders these days just won't mess with papers...

I 100% disagree with this statement, if you advertise a calf as "registerable" that is exactly what he should be, if you aren't willing to give papers on a calf don't lie to get them sold! 

cowman 52

T he sale management  Ought to either get the paper work in order or give you a refund.  I'd be on their phone a lot more than the seller. They have considerably more to lose.