Help with sprinkler systems

Help Support Steer Planet:

KMJCC

I was thinking about installing a sprinkler system in my barn for my show hiefers since I have read where it can hurt them being in cool rooms.  What are some suggestions and also some good systems.  I was wondering if you could put some kind of timer on it to set it to spray on some kind of cycle.  Thanks for your help!

Jill

Before we had a cooler we used a Sullivan sprinkler installed in front of fans that came out of the Sullivan's ice chest and we had it on a timer where they would almost get dry and it would click back on.

chambero

In the summer time, Lowe's/Home Depot carries parts for PVC mister systems in their seasonal dept.  You can make a mister system pretty cheap using them, much cheaper than Sullivans.  We have stalls down both sides of a central alley in our barn and have two 40' long mister pipes running high up above each row of stalls.  Nozzles spaced probably 4' apart or so.

rtmcc

We set ours up with a timer and control valve from Menards made for home irrigation systems.  We have it set to come on eight times a day for 4 minutes.  seems to work great and the digital timer and valve only cost about $30.

stangs13

How do you it all set up? I am wanting to run one for my calf this summer, but I don't know how to get it to the water source then back to the fans...make sense?  Does it need to be attached directly to a water spicket?

J-Beef

Also make sure that you watch there hair and skin to make sure the added moisture is no drying or harming the hair! O0

Jill

I guess to add to what I had earlier, we then freeze gallon milk jugs and put them in the cooler and fill it with water, you can also hook it directly into the hydrant.

pjkjr4

Some of you farmers (no-tillers, anyway) may be able to help out here, because i would like to take this a step further. Could a person rig up some kind of system using nozzles of of a sprayer and pvc pipe? Looks to me like that would work, and be a little more heavy- duty for hard water (which I have).

jason

pjkjr4 said:
Some of you farmers (no-tillers, anyway) may be able to help out here, because i would like to take this a step further. Could a person rig up some kind of system using nozzles of of a sprayer and pvc pipe? Looks to me like that would work, and be a little more heavy- duty for hard water (which I have).

Yeah that would work.  Not sure how long a run you could make, but with little nozzles I am sure it could be pretty long before you lost any pressure.

J-Beef

I think you could set up a system with ag-chem spray systems.  I work in the crop production business and my concern would be to much mist or flow.  Plus many of the nozzle built today are made to create large droplets ( opposite of what you need to mist or cool).  to get a fine enough mist or spray it would either take alot (60+) nozzle pressure or very small nozzles.  Just my thoughts ;)