HELP with steer walk

Help Support Steer Planet:

kylegerlach

I have never had issues with this steer tracking but just recently he has started to step inside of his track almost crossing his hind legs any reasons as to why this would happen.. and recommendations on how i could go about solving this issue. Thank you in advance !!

Attachments

• IMG_3520.mov
    9 MB
  • IMG_3518.mov
    9 MB

looking4champions

Has he had a hoof trim? If so, when? If not you can start there, but it appears that may be just the way he tracks. I can't tell if it's time for him to get a hoof trim. How close are you to your show? You definitely don't want to go too far trying to correct an issue with his hooves if you're close.

kylegerlach

i am about 100 days from my show and i have not had a hoof trim in about 4 months but it is so difficult trying to find someone that will do it. I know he needs one and hoping it will help his walk here is a picture of his hoof.

Attachments

• IMG_3578.jpeg
    IMG_3578.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

looking4champions

One claw looks a little longer than the other. Not sure how the other hooves are....

He could have some overgrowth underneath. They will adjust the way they walk to the condition of their hooves sometimes. If you are showing steers, there has to be someone within at least a 100 mile radius that can help you. Contact your breeder if they are close and ask if they can help. Check with your local vet also. Just be careful to make sure that the person you select does trim hooves for show cattle. Not all hoof trimming is the same. Good luck!!!

kylegerlach

One claw looks a little longer than the other. Not sure how the other hooves are....

He could have some overgrowth underneath. They will adjust the way they walk to the condition of their hooves sometimes. If you are showing steers, there has to be someone within at least a 100 mile radius that can help you. Contact your breeder if they are close and ask if they can help. Check with your local vet also. Just be careful to make sure that the person you select does trim hooves for show cattle. Not all hoof trimming is the same. Good luck!!!
I appreciate every bit of advice i can get and yes i am working on getting a hoof trimming right now. He seems to roll his hooves on his back legs and was able to snap this picture today where it looks like the inside part of his hoof isn’t even touching the ground... i’m hoping the hoof trimming will solve his tracking issue and again thank you for any advice you may have

Attachments

• IMG_3571.jpeg
    IMG_3571.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7