Help with steer.....

Help Support Steer Planet:

R4cattle

My daughter's show steer has a knot along his topline and has trouble standing on both back feet at the same time. He is holding one or the other up and constantly moving back and forth. We are 40 days out from our county show and I'm trying my dangdest to get him there. I have a chiropractor coming on Wednesday to work on him and I'm hoping that helps. I'm looking for anyone to share their experienve or advice for this? This is something we dealt with when we first got him and it seemed to work itself out and wasn't as bad as it is now. I'm just worried he won't make it to show and she will be heartbroken.

knabe

If swelling isn’t a knot, see if chiropractor recommends vet.

They should if issue is outside their expertise.

R4cattle

I had already contacted our vet. He prescribed Meloxicam. I gave it to him but it didn't seem to help. Then he suggested dex injections but I'm trying to avoid giving him injections if I can. If the chiropractor can't help, I will contact the vet again and try the dex.

R4cattle

That’s what I’m worried about! I’ve read about that and it does seem like it could be it. I hope not.

knabe

if spastic paresis, the leg will swing strangely front to back. not associated with an abcess looking lump. the vet gave your calf pain killer. what did the chiropractor do?

R4cattle

The chiropractor comes Wednesday. I will update after she comes. I will try uploading a video also.

R4cattle

Update
Chiropractor came yesterday morning. She adjusted and used the MagnaWave on him. She said his issues are structural and involve his Paraspinal muscles, but she said she sees this a lot. I haven’t seen a difference yet but I’m sure it takes time. I plan on taking him to the vet on Friday since I’m already going with heifers for health certificates, just to see what the vet thinks. I have another chiropractor apt next Wednesday. At this point, I don’t know what else to do.

I tried posting a video, but it’s the file is too large. I will try to make it smaller.

knabe

Update
Chiropractor came yesterday morning. She adjusted and used the MagnaWave on him. She said his issues are structural and involve his Paraspinal muscles, but she said she sees this a lot. I haven’t seen a difference yet but I’m sure it takes time. I plan on taking him to the vet on Friday since I’m already going with heifers for health certificates, just to see what the vet thinks. I have another chiropractor apt next Wednesday. At this point, I don’t know what else to do.

I tried posting a video, but it’s the file is too large. I will try to make it smaller.
Post on Facebook, then link.

R4cattle

According to the vet, the problem is his back legs/hocks are growing too straight which is causing him pain and causing him to arch his back along with the swelling along his top line. The vet gave him an antibiotic just in case there is an infection in his joints along with some Banamine. He had me give him banamine for 4 days following the intial dose. He has done a little bit better walking - his back isn't arched as much (this is after he has been up walking for a little bit). It's pretty rough when he first gets up from laying down. I'm still having the chiropractor come and work on him to hopefully help with his back and keep him aligned. The vet is asking another vet for other recommendations on how to keep him comfortable until our show which is at the end of March. He also suggested Hydro on the hocks to help as well.

Jive Turkey

According to the vet, the problem is his back legs/hocks are growing too straight which is causing him pain and causing him to arch his back along with the swelling along his top line. The vet gave him an antibiotic just in case there is an infection in his joints along with some Banamine. He had me give him banamine for 4 days following the intial dose. He has done a little bit better walking - his back isn't arched as much (this is after he has been up walking for a little bit). It's pretty rough when he first gets up from laying down. I'm still having the chiropractor come and work on him to hopefully help with his back and keep him aligned. The vet is asking another vet for other recommendations on how to keep him comfortable until our show which is at the end of March. He also suggested Hydro on the hocks to help as well.
Do they not do hock injections like in horses?