help with washing new steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

i just bought a new shorthorn and am having troubles washing him...when hes in the wash rack he will move back in fourth constantly and when i go to blow him off he will be fine when i blow off his back legs and and middle area but once i go to blow off his front legs and shoulder he tries to lay down in the stand or go through the front of it even if he gets scratched with the show stick while blowing him off....he is fine when i walk him just needs a little more halter breaking and practically falls asleep when the show stick is put on him....if you have any advice please help? :)

cyclone38

Just keep working with him. Some calves they need to get used to the process and many will eventually end up liking it. Had one last year that was a bit slower to the process, would kick and do things like that and he eventually he would calm out of it. Just be slow and methodical. About 2 weeks before you decide to clip him, start running clippers around him and maybe even just hold them running against his head and body so he gets used to it before you actually do it. Being consistent and time will solve most issues.

Ms Ray

he just needs to get used to it that nothing bad is going to happen it just takes time

vc

How often do you rinse him? If it is daily, then yes after three weeks, you would think he would have gotten over it. If it is 2 or 3 times a week it will take longer, I would rinse him daily, and if he drops his font end just keep going like nothing happened. If you stop, or just hurry through, once he does his trick he wins.

When you first get a calf making progress no matter how little each day is a victory, as long as things get better and you can do a little more each time, then things are good.