HELP!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

HeiferShower14

OK i got a 7/8 angus 1/8 maine heifer well shes really really mean and sassy she kicks at you for nothing its been making me mad. Whats a really friendly breed or crossbred that isnt as sassy for heifers?

Thanks

TJ

I know of one, it's spelled L O W L I N E.  ;)   Lowline Angus Cattle are very docile.   I broke a heifer in 2 days, actually I had her pretty broke after 1.  Never washed or rinsed her till I got her to a show... she did really well.  She didn't care for clippers around her head too much though, but I cut a wart off her face & I tattooed one of her ears in the grooming chute that I also clip with, so that may help explain that.  Seriously, I can take an unbroke Lowline & after 1 week, I can take them to a show & do OK with them.  I'm sure that exceptions to the rule do exist, but the ones that I've got have sweet dispositions.   

You probably wouldn't want a fullblood Lowline, but you can register 1/2 blood Lowlines & some of those are frame 5 cattle.   I saw a Blue Roan Shorthorn X Lowline at the Lowline Show in Houston that would probably compete extremely well with fullsized cattle.  I've got a Smokey Lowline X Charolais heifer that I think will also compete very well in Percentage Lowline, Commercial or AOB Classes.  She may be spoken for (I am 99.9% sure that she is), but I have several others that I think are pretty good too.  Plus, I have several friends with good percentage & fullblood Lowlines all over the country.       

kanshow

I think it's more a case of certain bloodlines and individuals within those lines rather than breed specific.  Yes, Angus tend to be a little more that way but I wouldn't lump the whole breed there.   

TJ

kanshow said:
I think it's more a case of certain bloodlines and individuals within those lines rather than breed specific.   Yes, Angus tend to be a little more that way but I wouldn't lump the whole breed there.   

No doubt that certain individuals within breeds are more docile than others, while others in that same breed end up being more "high strung".         

Diamond

In any breed there are individuals with nasty and nice temperaments, and no particular breed is gong to have all 'sweet hearts'. There are breeds who tend to be a bit 'hotter' such as the chi's or Angus, but its not to say you cant find a mild mannered one. If you really want to find a breed that tends to have an easer going temperament look into the shorts or the Murray Greys, from my experience they seem to be  easer breeds to work around. No matter what breed you decide on research their bloodline, or visit with the dam and how she response to people, dose she seem skittish or will she pay you no mind. Don't be afraid to ask questions, breeders are there in part to help match you up with the best calf that fits your needs.

TJ

Shorthorns might be a good breed to check out.  I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I can't recall ever seeing a "goofy" one.  I know that Justin Olson said that his Shorthorns were VERY docile.  Based on what I know & I have seen, he seems like a pretty straight forward, truthful kind of guy.  He might chime in later & he may possible have what you are looking for.  

kanshow

Talk to the breeder - they'll be able to tell you which ones to stay away from and which one's will be more docile.  

Herefords in general are a pretty docile breed... although I had a heifer that drug my dad down the midway at the state fair one year...  

Simmis - some lines & certain individuals are a little more flighty and cranky than others.  

I can't really comment on Maines as I haven't been around enough of them to know.

Black Herefs...   well despite what little I know of them.. I'd say it depends on what the black influence is.  

TJ

HeiferShower14 said:
What are some good crossbreds that have good tempers? (SP)

I've already mentioned Lowline crossbreds as being docile, but Herefords seem to be a pretty docile breed too.  I would think that the right Shorthorn crosses would also be pretty docile.    

I've had some Simmy's... Some were pretty docile, but most of them seemed to be somewhere in the middle of the road as far as being docile.  Not too many really wild ones that I've been around though.

HeiferShower14

LOL wat are some nice shorthorn crosses that would make agood show heifer? Im not wanting to put up with this sassy thing much any more  (cow)

TJ

kanshow said:
Shortfordlines...     ;D

Seriously, I may actually have something like that in the near future.  ;)   Steers that is.

SKF

Every breed has their crazy ones and sweet ones. We have mostly maine cross and shorthorns.  The main thing is when picking out a calf look for one that appears calm and curious. Don't pick one with a crazy look in their eye because usually they are. Look for a kind eye I always do and it has been a long time since we have a nasty calf. Try to buy a calf that has been around people a lot. We spend a lot of time around our calves from the time they are born and I have not had any real problems with they temperments. Some lines seem to have better temperaments then others. All of our Heatseekers have been a little more hotheaded than any other calves we have had. We also had a couple of Mossy Oaks that were goofy. Our Heatwaves have been wonderful temperments so have our Paddy O'Mallys and About Time calves. 

savaged

SKF is absolutely correct.

It is not a type of breed you are looking for, it's the type of calf.  Also, read the calf breaking article on the home page of this web site.  You can really get a calm animal with the right kind of interaction right from the start.  If you go to buy a calf, or pick one from your own herd, take your time and do not take one that seems real flighty and nervous from the start -  even if it looks really cool (unless you just have to have it - but be fore-warned!)

Been there done that.

shorthorns r us

kanshow said:
I'd love to see disposition EPDs.   ;D

we can't get accurately reported data that is measurable on a set of scales.  how on earth would there be any reliability in such an EPD?