Herd Bulls - I'll show... if you show yours

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

There just aren't as many people that want bulls.  I think the demand alone brings the price down relative to what an equally good female would bring.

knabe

justintime said:
The real discussion should be about the angle of the shoulder rather than the amount of the shoulder. I also think that in order to determine whether a bull has too  much shoulder, you have to learn what the proper angle of this region is supposed to look like. It could well be that what you think is too much shoulder is just an indication of a bull with better than average muscle.

thanks for the discussion JIT.  one thing i think i see in leroy is that where his whithers come together, they are pretty well back there compared to some bulls where they are centered above the front feet.  if i'm thinking correctly, since the scapula is therefore more angled, which i can't ever see real well on bulls, this angle will allow more extension and cushion in walking.  if the scapula is relatively straight up and down, this limits travel.  now, couple this with the rear end and the femur bone, if these are not "matched", they will walk discombobulated, ie the front will be a different length stride than the rear, and it will be practically physically impossible for an animal to step in his tracks.  even when both ends are matched and they are too straight, they will seem even strided, but they still can't step in their tracks.  the kadabra female that won CA state fair last year was like this.  she couldn't step in her tracks.  i guess with a more sweeping scapula, one could have a longer humerous bone that comes after the scapula, again, giving more cushion.

in thinking about calving, if my front legs can't stretch foward because i'm too straight, i can see how this might pose a problem, both in getting over the hole in the pelvis, and getting the body over that if my legs are too straight.

am i on the right "track" or do i need to focus more on the scapula?

thanks

OH Breeder

JIT I really like the last bull you have pictured. He looks like he really puts some meat in them,is that the case?

justintime

Player really did put some thickness and meat in his calves. We sold him just before the TH test was announced.  We had never had a defect calf so we " assumed" that he was TH free.  He turned out to be a carrier, and we found this out when we tested his daughters. Luckily, we had more TH free daughters than carriers. The carriers are now recips. He was double bred Improver on his sire side and double bred Irish Mist on his dam's side.

Ruebush Shorthorns

Here is SS Joe Rider at almost 5 years of age.  I have had him since December and he has already cleaned up a couple of my cows as well as a couple commercial cattle of my fathers herd.  My first calves will be in October and I am excited to see them.  He has had some good ones and I am praying for a clean bull calf out of one of my Sonny cows or even a Kaboom.

Attachments

• Joe Rider.JPG
    Joe Rider.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 614

Doc

justintime said:
Great lookin' bulls Chambero!! Red your herd bull looks like he is leaving some really good calves. Here is one of my herd bulls. Wolf Willow Major Leroy 1M is  shown here this morning. He is dreaming of green grass, but it may be a ways off yet, as our snow is now almost gone and it is still very dry here. We sold the world rights in Leroy to Semex International and he is being marketed around the world now.

JIT, Just watched the video of Leroy on the Semex site. I got a link thru an email from Browarney Photo's. Looks real good!!

Shorthorn_Junkie

Doc said:
justintime said:
Great lookin' bulls Chambero!! Red your herd bull looks like he is leaving some really good calves. Here is one of my herd bulls. Wolf Willow Major Leroy 1M is  shown here this morning. He is dreaming of green grass, but it may be a ways off yet, as our snow is now almost gone and it is still very dry here. We sold the world rights in Leroy to Semex International and he is being marketed around the world now.

JIT, Just watched the video of Leroy on the Semex site. I got a link thru an email from Browarney Photo's. Looks real good!!

I was just on the Semex site looking at Leroy's profile, however I was unable to find a video for Leroy. 

shortyjock89

Here's the bull that was our herd bull for a couple of years.  We sold him this year.  He's out of Waukaru Goldmine 2109 and is probably one of the first calves out of him. His dam is a Waukaru Minnie out of IWF Magic.  Our cow (heifer at the time) was at Waukaru to get bred, and she was used to break heifer calves too lol.  Anyhow, he was a pretty decent bull, this picture is of him in breeding condition last summer. He weighed around 1950 in this pic and weighed in around 2050 or 2100 when fed up.  He threw a little more frame than a wanted, and the calves "came on" a little later than I liked, but the calves were pretty good.  He threw a lot better than he looks here, but he did pretty well as a junior bull out on the show circuit the few times we took him out.

bull.jpg

OH Breeder

[
[/quote]

I was just on the Semex site looking at Leroy's profile, however I was unable to find a video for Leroy.   

[/quote]

http://www.browarny.com/semex/newsletter/Leroy/leroy.html

SKF

Here's a couple pf pictures of herd bull. He is an Ali son. Not the best pictures.

Attachments

• Cows 1-13-08 037a.JPG
    Cows 1-13-08 037a.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 701
  • Victoria calves 12-30-07 008.jpg
    Victoria calves 12-30-07 008.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 706

RMRW

Here is a pic of one of our senior herd sires...pictured here @ 9 yoa...

Attachments

• 1Dwood2-07.JPG
    1Dwood2-07.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 674

Shorthorn_Junkie

OH Breeder said:

[/quote]

http://www.browarny.com/semex/newsletter/Leroy/leroy.html
[/quote]

Thank you OH Breeder!!!!  ;D

Man oh man, what a bull!!!!!

I've always liked Leroy's picture, but after watching that bull walk in the video, I now have a newfound appreciation for him.    He walks like a dream. 

Thanks again for the link OH Breeder.  (thumbsup)

shortyisqueen

RMRW, Love your bull!

It is pretty cool and interesting to see everyone's herdsires in their working clothes. Here are a few of ours... The Shorthorn is KMS Grandmaster QM 44N, a Stone Springs Quartermaster son out of our Lilian 69J donor cow. He is four in this picture and out loafing in the summer on grass. The Hereford bull is a two year old in this picture. For those that follow Hereford bloodlines, he is a MSU Star Headliner son out of an Gerber E-male daughter.

Both were home-raised...We haven't had the greatest luck buying bulls that work for us, but buying semen and raising our own seems to be the ticket. We get to see the environment they're raised in, know everything about their mom and can get more consistency in the genetics by keeping the bloodlines close to what we currently have.

Attachments

• Headliner-26R.jpg
    Headliner-26R.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 617
  • Grandmaster-44N-front.jpg
    Grandmaster-44N-front.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 617
  • Grandmaster-44N.jpg
    Grandmaster-44N.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 614

loveRedcows

Gosh, there are some really good bulls on this post.  I'll jump in with our latest herd sire--he's just one of the plain ol red angus we raise!

Attachments

• P3160063.JPG
    P3160063.JPG
    684.6 KB · Views: 595

loveRedcows

Oops, I'm new at posting pics.  Will try to downsize & post again. 

Attachments

• Jazz031608A.JPG
    Jazz031608A.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 538

Doc

Here's a picture of a calf I just bought. He was 11 months old in the picture. He just turned 1 this month. He's a Kaboom out of a Cherry bred cow that goes back to Homedale Improver & Dr Pepper.

Attachments

• C4_1[1].jpg
    C4_1[1].jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 625