herd management software

Help Support Steer Planet:

Boot Jack Bulls

Doc said:
Has anyone tried Cattle Max listed on here?

Yes! We have used it for about 5 years and love it. The major drawback I see is it does not have a section for steers like it does for bulls, cows, and  calves. For us, this is not really an issue because we usually only have one show steer or two on the place past weaning, so we inventory them with bulls. You are able to keep track of all the necessary info just the same, but it can get confusing when you print out reports and there are steers in the bull column. We network all our computers, so when we are working cattle for whatever reason, we can have a laptop in the barn and can access all the records right as we are taking weights, vaccinating, branding, weaning, you name it. Then the info is at everyones fingertips right away. It also makes on-line registration a breeze (copy & paste!). It is also great in that all cattle ever inventoried are archived after sale, death, etc., so you no longer have to dig through old files to find out the dam of that old red cow 10+ years ago! I would highly recommend it!

squirt71

We've been using Cow Sense since 1993 and really like it.  Cow Sense archives all of the animals that have left the herd, from death to cull to sent to the feedlot with disposal codes, so we can still look up those animals. I can send registration info into the associations easily.

We can enter anything and everything we can think of on the animals (carcass data, preg check info, color, etc.) and can make reports based on certain items.  For example, I can search for calves born in 2011 with a BW less than 80lbs and a weaning weight over 600 lbs and a carcass weight of greater than 800lbs and have a list of those calves.  I can do the same with cows and bulls, and we actually use these reports to make culling decisions because they're so powerful.

We can keep track of breedings, and it will store all previous breeding also, and calculates estimated calving dates (for both natural and AI). It also allows you to enter EPDs and make breeding selections with those.

We have their Sale Manager program to keep track of buyers and buyer purchases as well as enter sale info, but the Cow Sense program lets you enter sale dates and sale prices too. And we use their chute-side program when weighing (records weights automatically when the laptop is connected to the scale) and preg checking to record data.

The only complaint is that it's a little overwhelming at first to get used to it, there so much you can enter and do with it.  But like anything else, the more you work with it, the easier it is.

squirt71

Cow Sense was a couple hundred when we bought it 20 years ago, I'm not sure what the pricing is now.

iowabeef

We just started using Cattle Max and IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I believe it is about 20 bucks a month depending on the number of active animals you want to record.  You get a 30 day free trial...we will definitly purchase this after that is up.  It is a service you buy for them to host your information on the"cloud" so to speak vs. actual physical softwear that you download.  It does have a way to record steers also...that might be an upgrade from what was posted above. 

Boot Jack Bulls

iowabeef said:
We just started using Cattle Max and IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I believe it is about 20 bucks a month depending on the number of active animals you want to record.  You get a 30 day free trial...we will definitly purchase this after that is up.  It is a service you buy for them to host your information on the"cloud" so to speak vs. actual physical softwear that you download.  It does have a way to record steers also...that might be an upgrade from what was posted above. 

I would guess that yes it is an upgrade. We started using it over 5 years ago, so I'm sure there is a newer version. Ours is not a "hosted" program. Just software you buy, install on you computer(s) and use, so it was only the one time purchase price for us. Not sure how much we paid, I might be able to find that somewhere! We like the program we have and as of yet have found no reason to upgrade to a newer version or try something else. I would highly recommend the free trial, I think you'll be hooked. We use it on all our farms and recommend it to anyone in the industry we work with, especially those just getting into cattle. It is pretty fool proof and is an easy way to step up your record keeping, while cutting down on file cabinet use. Now if only there was a version for goats! :(