Here is a different breed of cattle (Speckle Park Cattle)

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shorthorn_Junkie

Has anyone on here ever heard of the "Speckle Park Cattle" breed before? 

Apparently it is kind of a rare breed which was developed up in Canada which seems to have a huge Shorthorn influence.  Coming from someone who loves Blue Roans, I think these animals are beautiful.

I would also be curious to hear JIT's thoughts on this breed, and if he knows any of the breeders who live up his way who raise Speckle Park Cattle. 

http://www.specklepark.ca/index.html

http://www.moovinzpotz.com/0000pg.asp/ID/7230/SID/637

Shorthorn_Junkie

Here is another link.

Check out the Donor Cows on this page.  Especially the two cows, "Codiak Karmen 32K" and "Codiak Mindbender 59M".

http://www.specklepark.com.au/donors.htm

justintime

There are quite a few Speckle Park breeders here in Saskatchewan and Alberta. They are  moderate framed, easy fleshing, thick and apple smooth. Any I have seen have perfect udders and they milk well. They are a breed that marbles easily. The breed had it's beginnings in a herd near Maidstone SK ( near Lloydminster, in NW Sask). A blue roan cow seemed to breed true to the blue color dispite what she was bred to. This breeder started keeping all the calves and he found that almost all of these blue calves also bred true for the blue color. After several years of selection and development, they received breed status.

The Speckle Park have their National Show and Sale at Can Western Agribition in Regina SK each November. In 07 and 08 their Champion females have been quite awesome animals..... in my opinion, near perfect in size and design. Like any new breed that is trying to get numbers of cattle, there are some that are just average in quality, but the good ones are flat good. I think the entire breed is derived from 5 to 6 females, so they are line bred somewhat. Mainly Shorthorn and Angus in their  background. They are a  very docile breed.

I know that there is lots of interest in Speckle Parks from  New Zealand and Australia because of their ability to convert grass into high quality well marbled beef. There have been quite a few embryos sent to New Zealand and Australia already. In my opinion, this is a breed worth considering. They deserve to have a future.

shortyjock89

I kind of like them too.  I got to thinkin....getcha one of those really good Speckle Park cows, breed her to an awesome Shorthorn bull...getcha a blue little heifer or steer that could do really good at some shows, and is probably pretty easy on the feed bill as well as the eyes.

Shorthorn_Junkie

Thanks for your input JIT, it is always appreciated.

I take it that Speckle Park Cattle are homozygous blue roans then.  I do know that it is sometimes hard to get a consistent blue roan color when breeding a black animal to a Shorthorn cow. 

Just curious to know if you have ever considered owning a few Speckle Parks yourself JIT. 

Shorthorn_Junkie

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
I kind of like them too.  I got to thinkin....getcha one of those really good Speckle Park cows, breed her to an awesome Shorthorn bull...getcha a blue little heifer or steer that could do really good at some shows, and is probably pretty easy on the feed bill as well as the eyes.

I was just thinking the same thing you were thinking also.

I would also be interested in raising some Speckle Park cows, and once in awhile crossing a few with some purebred Shorthorn Bulls ever so often. 

justintime

Yes, I have considered having a few Speckle Parks around. Just haven't got around to it yet. maybe this fall when I sell the commercial cows and do some housecleaning, I may get a few.

justintime

There are many reasons.

1. we simply have too many cows

2. we are going to lose some pasture this fall

3. farm help is virtually impossible to find here. My idea of a holiday is getting up at 4 am so that I can get my chores done so that I can spend a day sitting in a meeting.

4. in recent years, 12 cows have been generating over 60 % of the income. For example, we just sent a shipment of embryos to Scotland last week. These embryos were from two donors and this sale put one over $65000 in income in the last 4 years; the other passed the $40,000. We have a waiting list for embryos from each cow and we will only fill the demand if they both flush well for several more months.

5. My dad, is still a partner in this operation. He is now 83... a very young 83 I might add. With labour so far to find, we want to be ready for the day when he cannot help as much as he does now. I am not sure when that will be as he can still tire me out most days.

6. We have been dry for longer than I care to remember. I am tired of constantly looking at the sky to see if I can see some clouds on the horizen. If I reduce my cow numbers it allows me to be not as dependent on the weather. In the good years, i may actually be able to sell some hay.

7. We want to spend more time with our ET program, and maybe find a good co-operator herd to work with. This would be a good way to help a young couple establish a herd and also help use reduce our labour requirement here. We would either purchase all the ET calves at weaning or split them between the co-operator and ourselves at weaning... what ever works for both parties.

8. Reducing our cow numbers would allow me to spend more time trlooking for a few more select donors. I happen to believe that many of the best donors have never seen a show ring, and often are in small herds off the beaten track. The donor I mentioned above who has just passed $ 65,000 in sales came from a small herd and she cost me $2000 to purchase. She is only 6 years old now, so hopefully she will produced for a number of years yet.  Who knows, i may end up getting a donor or two from another breed ( such as a Speckle Park)

9. I also publish a Shorthorn magazine here in Canada, and it is getting harder to provide as much time to this as it needs due to the inavailability of help.

These are the reasons that quickly come to mind. There are probably a bunch more. I know my wife could come up with a much longer list!

[email protected]

Here is a picture of one of my speckle bulls in Oklahoma.
He ususally scores around 20 points on every out.
We call them plummers.        They are not even close to being the same cattle but they look a lot a like.      I think most rodeo bull producers think white park cattle started the plummer spotted bulls.    Some are marked like the really nice blue roan cows, but can't raise a show calf.  Halter breaking could be a challenge too.

I had to add this just for fun.  See our speckle cattle at http://www.bredtobuck.com/        (lol)

Attachments

• cv33.jpg
    cv33.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 365