Hereford Breeding Suggestions

Help Support Steer Planet:

Lindsey Farms

I have 3 registered herefords and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what to breed them to.  What are some of the top producing bulls today. thanks in advance

fluffer

Are you looking at Horned or Polled?  I am NOT a hereford breeder, but I do help some friends that show Herefords from time to time.  I have seen Wideload and Reload in person and thought they were pretty nice.  Seen some good calves out of them too.

Hopefully someone can help you more then I  ;)

Good luck!

Fluffer

DiamondS

Can you tell us more about the cows?  What are they lacking?  Horned or polled or does it matter?

DiamondS

CPL

It depends on what you are wanting to add to your cattle.

I can guarantee you right now if you just AI them to the NWSS Grand Champion you will not have as much luck as you would if you actually sat down and looked for a bull that would complement your cows. That may mean that they will not all be AI'd to the same bull.

With that said, look at UPS Odyssey and see if he fits the bill. I have some some really nice heifers out of him.

4Ts4H

CPL said:
It depends on what you are wanting to add to your cattle.

I can guarantee you right now if you just AI them to the NWSS Grand Champion you will not have as much luck as you would if you actually sat down and looked for a bull that would complement your cows. That may mean that they will not all be AI'd to the same bull.

With that said, look at UPS Odyssey and see if he fits the bill. I have some some really nice heifers out of him.

Which of his best attributes to you feel he imparts on these females?  I was thinking of using his daddy, but is this blood line going to improve the rib shape, extention, or lower quarter?  That is where we need the help!!!

PLKR

Are your Herefords heifers or mature cows?  Are you looking to produce show prospects?  Replacement females?  I have a few suggestions, but it would depend on your goals, and the genetics of the cows you're breeding.  Post a little more info and I'll be happy to offer my ideas, for what it's worth!

Lindsey Farms

mariea6.jpg

mariea3.jpg

42.jpg

see if this works?   All have Domino breeding, dont have exact name of the bull with me at the moment

im looking for something that could possibly provide me with showy type heifers, not really looking for show steers or bulls though

the first 2 are about to have their 3rd calves and the bottom one is about to have her first

DiamondS

I can't tell much by the top two pictures, but a bull that I've recently seen some calves out of that demanded good prices and were pretty nice were out of CJH Harland 408.  ABS is selling semen on him.  They were thick topped, and had an expressive hindquarter.  Something I think most Herefords are missing.  They were good boned.  I think some of them tended to be a little flat-ribbed, but overall they were pretty complete.  You can look him up at Mill Creek Ranch's website. 

I've been out of the show circuit for a while, so I don't really know who the latest, greatest bull is.  I've got a couple horned bulls that we are selling semen on locally.  One bull was 2001 Denver reserve fall bull calf champ.  That year his half sister was also reserve division yearling.  She had won the royal two years in a row, and won her class with her first calf at Jr. Nationals among other jr. shows.  They are not well-known bulls so you may not be interested.  Both bulls are 8 yrs old and still breeding cows.  I collected them both last year and one bull collected 700 straws in one jump.  Email me if you'd like more info.

DiamondS

BRdoc

I would lean toward High Cotton. A young bull that has thrown some awesome calves. At least check him out.
Another good one is High Cottons sire...Legrand Reload.

Barrel Racer

Lindsey Farms said:
All have Domino breeding, dont have exact name of the bull with me at the moment

I don't have any suggestions, Dr. B is pretty sick today, but he has Herefords and could probably suggest something.  I can ask him on Monday.  One thing I wanted you to make sure is to check into Epilepsy status before breeding.  You mention Domino breeding, that's why I brought it up, depends on what line you have.  The Hereford site has some info on Epilepsy, and lists a few carriers.  If you want more information you can send me a PM as well. 

DiamondS

I found the carriers, but I was looking for the information on IE.  I couldn't find it on the site.  Where did you find the info.  I can find all sorts of info on it in dogs.  Thanks

Barrel Racer

DiamondS said:
I found the carriers, but I was looking for the information on IE.  I couldn't find it on the site.  Where did you find the info.  I can find all sorts of info on it in dogs.  Thanks

I was just looking at the Hereford site and thought they had something about it up, but I guess not.  I did all the research in Dr. B's lab for epilepsy, so I can try and answer any specific questions you might have.  I can say that I've done over 14,000 samples and am still trying to get caught up with what was sent in through March.  I"m not sure on the AHA's policies regarding the release of test results, so if there is a particular bull I'd ask the owner.  We feel we know the proband sire of IE  (if you do some pedigree research on the known carriers you should be able to identify it). 

http://www.herefordamerica.com/papers/2008_4.pdf
This is a link to Hereford America (not sure if you get it or not), but on page 16 Dr. B wrote an article with some FAQs that he has answered. 

Any other questions feel free to drop me a PM!  ;D

PLKR

Here is my take on several Hereford bulls, both horned and polled,that we have either used ourselves or have seen a number of calves by them.  Since these cows are Domino breeding (Victor Domino?), I assume they have adequate milk, but could stand to be a bit stouter.

BR Moler - really stout, first daughters are making nice cows, moderate calving - not a heifer bull, but no a cow killer either.  Problem - semen is $500/straw!  An alternative would be a son of Moler - Wallace.  He was reserve at Denver - really good bull out of a fantastic cow.  The down side is that he is obviously unproven.  Semen is $100/straw. 

BR DM Channing - Full brother to Moler, daughters are really good cows, and he can produce competitive show heifers as well.  May not add quite as much muscle shape as Moler, but they tend to be sounder and have more rib.  Semen is $50 / straw. 

Reload - Definitely puts a nice look on his calves and adds muscle.  Not a light birth weight bull, and he needs to be bred to deep, soggy cows.

KT John Wayne  - He won the horned show in Denver as a calf this year.  Really attractive, super EPDs, but of course is unproven. 

If you are looking for calving ease, I would consider Wrangler 19D or Feltons Legend.  Both are proven calving ease bulls, daughters are very nice, and they still have a pretty nice look to them.  They will not be as stout as a Moler, Channing, Reload, etc.

I hope this info helps a bit - if you run across a bull that interests you, let me know - I might have some insight on him as well.  Good luck and have fun!

garybob

Hereford guys'n gals, I have a question, whatever happenned to OB Joyful? Always liked them Ochs Bros Cattle! Although, I always thought that they needed a little more eye pigmentation.

GB

PLKR

Ochs Bros cows got sold a few years ago to a ranch in Texas - not sure what has become of them since then, but they haven't been as highly promoted as they were when thay were at Ochs Bros in Colorado.

CPL

Here are the carriers:
http://hereford.org/AHA/tabID__3855/tailored.aspx

Barrel Racer, aren't the test for IE free (or were free of charge at one time). Therefore I see no excuse why any breeder, who's horned cattle are atleast questionable, wouldn't test. Many breeders have actually aready tested their whole herds. I don't think IE is a big problem unless your cows are confirmed carriers.

The Odyssey calves I saw were very deep and massive. There was muscle, but you have to realize it will never be able to relate to that of Maines and Limousins. A girl in my FFA Chapter has an Odyssey steer that won his class at the Hoosier Beef Congress and I know a man with an Odyssey sired bull. Out of the group I've seen, there was only one I couldn't stand.

Lindsey, the pictures don't say much. I guess we need to know what your goals are? Are you wanting a show heifer/steer. If thats the case then bulls like Odyessy, Channing, Reload are more up your way. Those aren't the kind of bulls I'd recommend for practical cattle, but your could probably get a nice showable calf out of them.