Hereford bull for heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

5PCC

I was really wanting to AI a black crossbred heifer to CRR About Time 743, but I am not willing to pay $250 a unit for semen. What do you suggest I use instead? I'm looking for something that is safe for heifers and free of genetic disease.

HMF

We have used worldwide on heifers and gotten along great with him.  We are also trying sensation this year on heifers and cows, have heard many great things about him.  Had a very reputable breeder tell part of the reason he is so calving ease is because is calves come 7 to 9 days early.

obie105

True grit has an epd of 2 which isn't horrible for a Hereford but in my mind there are better options available for heifers.

Till-Hill

5PCC said:
I was really wanting to AI a black crossbred heifer to CRR About Time 743, but I am not willing to pay $250 a unit for semen. What do you suggest I use instead? I'm looking for something that is safe for heifers and free of genetic disease.
Sure glad I read this thread! Was just going to breed a xbred heifer myself to About Time, if someone is really paying $250 for it I sure heck ain't using it!

On other hand I've used Revolution, Worldwide, Limited Edition, and Victor 719T. Seen some calves out of Cheyenne at Select and he will be one of the next ones I use.

5PCC

I called one of the semen distributors...I don't remember which one...to ask what they are selling his semen for. They said $250. Someone else might have it for less.

obie105

About Time has been dead for 4-5 years now and his calves are still winning. I have seen some places with it priced higher.

PWolfe

Since we are relatively new to the Hereford breed, we asked a very reputable Hereford breeder what bull is heifer safe, so that we could breed my daughter's show heifer to him.  They suggested NJW 73S W18 Hometown 10Y ET; we did some research and discovered we liked his numbers and look quite a bit.  Her heifer is a daughter of H Excel 8051 ET.

We shall see next spring. 

The first picture is of the heifer; the second one is of Hometown.

Attachments

• Sassy Herf..JPG
    Sassy Herf..JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Hometown.jpg
    Hometown.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 184

Till-Hill

obie105 said:
About Time has been dead for 4-5 years now and his calves are still winning. I have seen some places with it priced higher.
The year he died salesman said he had 10 on truck and I grabbed it. Used 7 on some commercial projects and they sure were fancy. If anyone knows someone who wants it bad let me know and I'll make it right with you!

5PCC

I thought of using Excel. Is he heifer safe? What about Good and Plenty? He is an About Time son. Right now I am thinking of Perfect Timing, unless someone changes my mind.

5PCC

We don't actually have any Hereford on the farm. My husband favors black. He has 100+ commercial cows. Anything with color is discounted heavily at the sale barn.

I have about 20 show stock cows and heifers with Maine, Chi, and Angus cross. I am working on improving the cow herd...breeding into it some of the things that the Angus breed doesn't do for me. I would love to have the About Time semen. Send me any email.

HMF

5PCC said:
I thought of using Excel. Is he heifer safe? What about Good and Plenty? He is an About Time son. Right now I am thinking of Perfect Timing, unless someone changes my mind.

From the guys I have talk to good and plenty has some birth weight to him and is not recommended for heifers. From what I have heard they are some pretty nice calves that are thick and powerful with a nice show look to them

paj315

CRR 719 Catapult 109 . Owned by the breeders of About Time . The people at Coyote Ridge Ranch say he is heifer safe and have used him on several of their heifers. We have 4 heifers bred to him due next January and February . He has a 1.4 BW EPD . Churchills Sensation and his son Red Bull both have really low BW but I've not seen a lot of calves out of either one.

JDman

If your going to use Hometown 10Y you should use Trust 100W. Same breeder both champions. I have heard that Ward's said they like their trust calves more and they will be better mothers. personally on a commercial heifer id use 719T.