Hereford bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

ratmama2

Stone Ridge Manor has Star Orlando 561P ET that I plan to use next year on my 29N sons heifers. I have seen his babies and they are thick and long. Up close and personable the bull is just beautiful!!!!! They are in PA. Go to www.stoneridgemanor.com and check him out. The owners are a great bunch of people also. I have attended their sale in October almost every year and they have always had some nice heifers and bull lots.
Ratmama

shortyjock89

knabe said:
hmm, i like the old bulls best on that page

yeah me too, looks like there are some pretty thick ones.  where can I see a picture of that embracer bull?

ratmama2

Star Lake Cattle has an Embracer bull. www.starlake.com I also like Sand Hills Bulls at www.sandhillfarms.com I also found one in my searches called NPH the Stocker 10H. Go to www.hereford.org and do a epd inquiry. He looks nice on their web site. There is also a semen catalog on the hereford web site. Are you looking for polled or horned?

knabe

GONEWEST said:
knabe said:
hmm, i like the old bulls best on that page

Knabe,

How'd you like those 3000 pounders????

i like the bulls because of the way they look, the way their rib cage looks, the shape of their hips, the strength of their back, the strength of their hocks their overall balanced look.  i wonder what the unsoundness percentage is out of herefords today versus those bulls.

it's pretty funny you mention that as a bull i'm interested in weighed 3000 in fighting trim.

It's pretty clear that breeding half sibs to each other will take some of this away.  what it probably also does is rearrange their overall balance as they are forced in a smaller package.  pretty much all the other bulls on that page don't have near the balanced look to them.  personally, i'd start a herd with them rather than the other bulls on the page.  the thing that is different, is that they were never directly selected from the input restrictions we have now, but through several generations of misguided optimization.

i am after decoupling the link between maternal and muscle.  it's pretty clear to me that there is such a mish mash of cattle out there today to detangle that antagonism, that i would rather start with something older rather than all the weak backed, shallow upper ribbed cattle on the rest of the page.  it may be easier to get big cattle small than to get strong backs back into them.  who knows.  if you want, i can list the ones that look weak backed.  of the color pics, i'll take standard lad there on the bottom.

there.

GONEWEST

I think those big bulls are absolutely gorgeous! As you said they may not work for today, but they are still beautiful. Can you believe how many weighed over 2900? BTW I'm not sure how that stupid face got in my last post, I may have stuck the ? key.

On another portion of your post, I would like to throw out that high growth and low milk are not tied together as tightly as the academics who make the EPD models contend. The milk EPD for the Simmental cow attached is -1 average for the breed is+5. So this cow has a really low EPD for milk. However as you can obviously see, she milks like a Holstein. We have had this problem since Cornell changed the model for the EPD's in the early 90's. There are scores of Simmental cows with low milk numbers that are tremendous milkers.  Like this cow and many like her who have had 8 or more calves, that's still not enough to raise the EPD to an accurate level because it began so low. It's like a college football team that wasn't ranked in the top 25 at the beginning of the year. Even if they go undefeated they won't be able to pass two other teams with similar records that were ranked ahead of them at the beginning of the year due to perception. Obviously in both cases the perception has some basis in fact. But without large contemporary groups and ACCURATE reporting, EPD's are just numbers without meaning, no matter what the assigned "accuracy figure."

Attachments

• 734.jpg
    734.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 551

amcosgra

I'm partial to
1. AA PRF Wideload
2. Remitall Online 122L
3. LaGrand Reload 80P ET

Also here is Remitall Embracer 8E

Attachments

• WIDELOAD.jpg
    WIDELOAD.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 395
  • RemitallOnline122L.jpg
    RemitallOnline122L.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 405
  • Reload80Picon.jpg
    Reload80Picon.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 438
  • embracer.jpg
    embracer.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 454

Chap

not to hijack the thread, but when talking about milk epd, we need to remember that those figures represent the daughters of those animals ability to milk expressed in lbs of calf at weaning attributed to milk.  obviously with any EPD, there will be differences in progeny, including outliers.  so a bull or cow with a +5 milk epd would be expected to produce daughters whose calves weigh 5 lbs more at weaning than another cow or bull's daughter that had a 0 milk epd.

From Angus.org
Maternal Milk EPD (Milk), is a predictor of a sire's genetic merit for milk and mothering ability as expressed in his daughters compared to daughters of other sires. In other words, it is that part of a calf's weaning weight attributed to milk and mothering ability.