Hereford calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

Lazy G

Here's an early June calf, I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on her. Its not the greatest picture of her, but she just weighed 520 pounds on Monday. Theres also a few other pics of some cows, theyre all bred to calve in late janurary. Should I keep breeding them red angus, or should I try a red simmi bull to put more size into them? Opinions and criticism are welcome.

Attachments

• Calf.jpg
    Calf.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 766
  • 4 year old.jpg
    4 year old.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 675
  • 5yearold.jpg
    5yearold.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 687
  • 9 year old cow.jpg
    9 year old cow.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 682
  • yearling.jpg
    yearling.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 679

herfchic

The hereford heifer looks decent.  How is her front end, and what are her blood lines? 

herfchic

Good luck with that calf.  If she keeps going like she is you are going to have a very good heifer.

Lazy G

I was also wondering about any AI Hereford sires that people know about. I've been looking around and I can't really find too many in the ABS or SEMEX books. Does anybody know of any good ones? I would be using it on a couple first time calvers, and a couple old cows, which all have Remittal lines somewhere in their background.

Steered

I don't know if you have a Genex rep or not near you but they have some good bulls.  Felton Legend 242 is good on calving ease and makes some nice females.  I have had a couple good calves out of Anhinga Vic K16.  He is a bull that I don't hear a lot about, but I have had good results with.  And the Schu-Lar 5N bull is from a first rate program and I would not have any reservations on using him.

Steer Boy 101

We have around 50 herefords. We used LaGrand Reload and i have an awsoem steer out of him this year. WE also used Purple Milsap another is JJD Red MIle. Those are a good start. Just click em in on a website or tell your nearist seamon jocky and youll get em i think the first two are 50 bucks and the last is 35 bucks(get use to the expensive seman prices herefords suck for that) also beware of regerstration cost with em too . but its worth it. also nice red angus we have about 20 of those and 15 angus and 5 crosses. Try crossing the red and hereford its the best growing cross ever they have awsoem rate of gain.

CPL

I'm on a wide screen so its really hard to comment on the cattle, but it does look like you have a fairly decent heifer on your hands. As for Hereford AI Sires, I'd call the AHA and have them send you a AI Book. It is really hard to find good Hereford bulls in some of the semen suppliers. I think Steered has a good idea on the Genex Sires. I like most of them. Are you wanting a show calf? Or more practical, economical heifers to turn into brood cows? I like K16 and he will probably be the first bull I use AI. But, if you're looking for a show calf look up STAR Bright Future. If mature wieghts and frame don't really concern you he could really be what your looking for. Reload is a good bull, but I don't think he's the best. I have also seen some good calves out of BR DM Channing. I'm pretty sure these bulls' semen rights are still owned by their owners so you'd have to buy the semen from them.

ratmama2

Go to http://www.hereford.org and go to semen catalogs. There is the yearly semen book and also farms that have semen for sale.

Lazy G

What about HUTH LAGRAND CLASS ACT, and Ribeye? They are both sires that caught my eye in the ABS book, does anybody have any calves off of them, or seen anything to recommend them? I'm from the maritimes, and I only know of ABS and SEMEX representatives in my area.

Steer Boy 101

huth has excellent cattle but on the dam side he has this KOO1 cow and she gose back to a prolapse bull. its truble. but they are beuitful cattle.Ribeye dosent have the best showy calves we used him on some. good growers tho. Bright Future is a really awsome bull. I like reload but gotta have the right click and you have  awsome calf.

CPL

Another bull I'd be interested in is Grandview Sonora. Rusty Miller has some really nice heifers out of him in their catalog.

Lazy G

CPL said:
Another bull I'd be interested in is Grandview Sonora. Rusty Miller has some really nice heifers out of him in their catalog.

That's a nice looking Bull, and thanks Steerboy, both those bulls are looking good too. I just found two other bulls I liked the look of. SHF PROGRESS P20, and EFBEEF SCHU-LAR PROFICIENT N093. Does anyone know what they throw for calves? Thanks in advance.