Hereford curly hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

40yrold4her

I fitted a hereford  last year with very little problems with curly hair. This year it is tottally different. I work the hair towards without exception, apply foam and final bloom,pink oil and did not pull the hair up until right before going in the ring. I got the hair straight on the hind quarters with pop but i still had a wave in the belly hair. Any suggestions? I use hair stimulator on our maine cross calves. Thanks for yor advice in advance.

shortyjock89

Well, I've never shown a Hereford, but I've fit plenty of them, and this goes for bulls of any breed with wavy hair too:  Use that rice-root brush like there's no tomorrow..after you rinse the calf, just brush and brush, and blow the hair straight forward, if you work it up at an angle, I find that it encourages curl.  Also, Sullivan's Hair Set doesn't hurt.  Another mixture that you might use is 1/2 Kleen Sheen, 1/2 Bay Rum, with some Hair Gel in there...anwhere between 1/3 and 1/2 tube should be plenty (I've never used that one myself, but some people I know swear by it).  Spray that in after you've brushed the heck out of the calf, brush the calf over again, and then blow the hair straight forward.  Hope at least some of this helps!!

ATOZ

We had a hereford steer 2 years ago out of Harddrive that had curly hair, we added some downy fabric softener to our daily hair spray and it helped tremendously!

CPL

ATOZ said:
We had a hereford steer 2 years ago out of Harddrive that had curly hair, we added some downy fabric softener to our daily hair spray and it helped tremendously!

Do you still have the Moffett Prime Beef heifer? If so, how's she doing?

As for curly hair, rice root brush works. Also, I believe I was told once that if you slick sheared and then as the hair started to grow back just brush and brush and brush it may help. I'd definitly try the other methods posted first though  ;)

OH Breeder

I had a shorthorn heifer that had very kinky hair and a Kadabara who always seem to throw fuzzy kinkiy hair. I found a product that is cheap. It is called Cholesteral (used for ethnic hair as a relaxer). You buy it at walmart but can get a large jug at Beauty supply store. It is messy but works great. We take about two to three table spoons of it and put it in warm or hot water and dissolve. Put in sprayer with a littel clean sheen. Spray on a couple times of week. It relaxes hair and you do need to wash out at the end of the week because it will build up. If you use it too much it will make the hair limp. But, we would rinse everyday and then spray the heifer three times a week brush in with a rice root and then blow out. At the end of the week we used V05 to wash. I know alot of people use dishwashing soap but that takes too much oil out. Vo5 is 96 cents a bottle. Give it a try. I think you will like it.

ATOZ

CPL, yes I still have her and she never did learn to lead! The strange thing is, is that you can walk into the lot and scratch her back. She is deep and looks really good and is bred for a late March calf out of Grand Slam! Can't wait. Thanks for asking.

knabe

OH Breeder said:
I had a shorthorn heifer that had very kinky hair and a Kadabara who always seem to throw fuzzy kinkiy hair. I found a product that is cheap. It is called Cholesteral (used for ethnic hair as a relaxer). You buy it at walmart but can get a large jug at Beauty supply store. It is messy but works great. We take about two to three table spoons of it and put it in warm or hot water and dissolve. Put in sprayer with a littel clean sheen. Spray on a couple times of week. It relaxes hair and you do need to wash out at the end of the week because it will build up. If you use it too much it will make the hair limp. But, we would rinse everyday and then spray the heifer three times a week brush in with a rice root and then blow out. At the end of the week we used V05 to wash. I know alot of people use dishwashing soap but that takes too much oil out. Vo5 is 96 cents a bottle. Give it a try. I think you will like it.

hm, there's actually some science behind this solution.  i can't remember, but curly hair has more di-sulfide bonds per unit of distance and these products relax them.  i can't remeber if they have a time duration and the bonds go back together.  brushing may have some duration, but a product that relaxes these bonds would last longer probably, check the product claims.

chambero

I used to show Herefords.  Part of the trick is to brush the hair down before going forward.

We also used to make some kind of homeade concoction that had alum and clove oil in it that we sprayed on them.  It really did work, but I suspect the modern hair relaxers would work better.  Sally's Beauty Supply should have something.

Never leave them wet.

ROAD WARRIOR

When I worked for a fitting service that showed multiple breeds we used a product from wall mart called "spray it straight". Relaxes the curls. When ever you was one A- Brush hair straight down. B - Comb hair forward. C. Blow until completely dry.

CPL

ATOZ said:
and is bred for a late March calf out of Grand Slam!

Good, good. Have you gotten a Frame Score off her? or just in general in she very big? You will have to let me know how her udder turns out next spring. Good luck with using Grand Slam, many people have had success with him.