Hereford heifer...big baby

Help Support Steer Planet:

reno1014

This is a picture of our 2 year old heifer she is due October 10th.  I bred her to Wells Fargo from Lautners.  Tell me what
you think of her prospects for throwing club calves.  Thanks

Attachments

• sassy.jpg
    sassy.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 498

ShowmanQ

What else does she have in her besides Hereford? I could be wrong but I am just going on her color pattern not being that of a "typical" Hereford. Aside from that she looks pretty good to me. She seems to have enough guts and her bone is not bad. Feet and legs seem to be correct enough (from a picture) to carry her as a bred cow 10 years down the road. She is a bit sloppy up front, but I do not know what genetics she has got on the Hereford side of her breeding. Even though I am not personally a Wells Fargo fan, I have seen some good calves out of him. I think you should be able to get a calf out of her that you will be proud of,and that is all that matters when it boils down. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it turns out when she calves.

txshowlamb

Iam with ShowmanQ as it is I raise herefords and the pattern is off she has to be crosses with something else because I have never seen one with that kind of pattern but she is very nice. Good Luck

reno1014

Well, I am not sure but she could have some mixed background.  We purchased her to be a feed buddy for a show steer.  She got way fat and I
was lucky she even bred.  I picked her out because she seemed to have good bone and depth with some length to her.  I agree that she is very
fleshy in the neck,  also her head is huge.  Her tempermant is great and she has the signs of being a good mom. I picked the Wells Fargo bull because
(which I didnt know about doctoring pics then) he was the only one in the catalogue whom had very little neck fat, a small head with low birthweight.
Dummy me I will probably end up with a 200 lb calf that looks like he could be American by all the neck fat and big head.  She has been on a strict
diet and hopefully I wont have to pull the calf.

ratmama2

I also raise herefords and one of my Victor line cows always throws a lot of white. White legs, LOTS of white along thier backs (not just necks) I also bred to an Ausie hereford bull and opted not to breed her to him cause he was supposed to put alot of white on his babies. My 29N son put more white on them than the Ausie bull did. Always amazing how genetics works!!!! She might not be a cross. I will have to see if I can get picures up of my Hannah Bay and her daughters. Lots of white.

CPL

There are a few hereford bloodlines that will throw lots of white like that. Most people don't find that attractive any more. She's a nice heifer. Good luck with her and her calf. There's nothing better than black baldies!

kanshow

She looks like some of the old Polled Hereford cows we used to have...  The predominate bloodlines we had were Domino & Victor but then I probably just described 75% of the Hereford (Polled & Horned) breed!    We'd get linebacks & lots of side white sometimes.    The complaint I would have about her coloring is the pink eye rim.   

If she does a decent job of raising the calf, I'd consider using her as a recip.   

simtal

I think that one would need to cross with something with a lot of look, probably hannibal or friction