Hereford sires?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cebwtx

I am a little ways off  but already trying to plan for my Hereford breeding. I don't see much about Hereford on these post but hoping some have some ideas. I have a cow and a heifer both will be needing to be bred. The cow has NJW 1y Wrangler 19D background. Heifer has C-S Pure Gold in her background. Looking for any suggestions as to what experience anyone has had. There are so  many when you search on line and to me they all look good. Would like to keep them polled and not looking to spend Remitall Online kind of money.

5VSC

I would try a bull with some online influence in it, thought such as a moler son. We bred a 19D daughter to a online son and did great u should do to, his prodigy is just awesome producers. You could even use the Coyote Ridge About Time hes been siring the "Good Kind".

herefordfootball

Go with and Online son on the 19D, that mating never misses. For the Pure gold, I would try purple tonic since she's a heifer, my hereford heifer in my pic is a Purple Tonic X Wideload/Puregold. Reload is working really good on puregolds too. Good luck!

cebwtx

I was also wondering about BR DM L1 Domino 146 I have seen him personally and he looks nice. I know he has sired a bunch of winners but is he becoming out dated or is he still a top sire?

herefordfootball

cebwtx said:
I was also wondering about BR DM L1 Domino 146 I have seen him personally and he looks nice. I know he has sired a bunch of winners but is he becoming out dated or is he still a top sire?

He's still "in" I guess, but not as much as he was, i'd say.

ATM OH

Golden Oak Outcross 18U

Attachments

• Outcross.JPG
    Outcross.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 210

5VSC

cebwtx said:

Steams sold the top calf at the Ladies of the Royal sale in Kansas City i think it was for $23,000.

cattle nut

cebwtx said:
I am a little ways off  but already trying to plan for my Hereford breeding. I don't see much about Hereford on these post but hoping some have some ideas. I have a cow and a heifer both will be needing to be bred. The cow has NJW 1y Wrangler 19D background. Heifer has C-S Pure Gold in her background. Looking for any suggestions as to what experience anyone has had. There are so  many when you search on line and to me they all look good. Would like to keep them polled and not looking to spend Remitall Online kind of money.
Buy the right semen that matches up well from a phenotype perspective and one that has future marketing possibilities. Price should NEVER be the deciding factor as long as the semen is under $100. Don't spend all that time and energy on an AI program and then select semen based on $$.

PLKR

cattle nut said:
cebwtx said:
Buy the right semen that matches up well from a phenotype perspective and one that has future marketing possibilities. Price should NEVER be the deciding factor as long as the semen is under $100. Don't spend all that time and energy on an AI program and then select semen based on $$.
While I agree that price should not be your first criteria in bull selection, your $100 figure quickly eliminates Online ($1000) and Moler ($500) and "package bulls" such as Golden Oak Outcross.  That being said, there are plenty of options for both the cow and heifer. Proven heifer bulls include 19D, Legend 242, Tonic, and possibly Durango and About Time. I would not use Reload on a heifer!  The 19D cow has plenty of options--Channing and Bright Future are 2 proven Online sons that might work well.

cebwtx

I was thinking of something 100 dollars or less. I just did not want be out 500-1000 dollars for something that might be sold at a sale barn a year down the road. They cow and heifer are nice but I don't know that either are good enough for flushing, possibly the heifer still have to wait and see. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

frostback

Any reports on Cyrus calves yet? Cant remember how old he is and if there are calves by him yet. Loved him at Denver. Frostie

PLKR

cebwtx said:
I was thinking of something 100 dollars or less. I just did not want be out 500-1000 dollars for something that might be sold at a sale barn a year down the road. They cow and heifer are nice but I don't know that either are good enough for flushing, possibly the heifer still have to wait and see. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Don't blame you a bit--in my opinion, you need a proven mating AND a marketing plan to invest $500 to $1000 per straw for semen. Of the bulls I mentioned, I believe Channing is the highest priced at $50/ straw. Good luck with your matings!