Hereford Steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

kvhranch

Is it totally stupid to consider trying to take a hereford steer for 4-H next year?  I know they aren't popular right now, but after the year we had this year, we really need to find a gentler steer to help my son get his courage back.  But don't want to get him laughed out of the ring.

kp1625

They are hotter than they have been in the past.  Herefords have gone along ways in the last few years.

KCK

Hereford steers are perfect for what you are looking for. Where are you located? I would say getting one from a Hereford breeder would increase your odds of getting a more docile one. And, it would come with papers to back you up. I am a Hereford girl at heart and love to see little kids with them! Good luck and let us know if you need any help!

amcosgra

Where are you located at?  We have 40 steers to choose from and they are like dogs.  Very complete set with great natural thickness and trust me you won't be laughed out of the ring with these...or any herefords for that matter!

kvhranch

We will be getting one angus cross steer again from my dad but we learned our lesson this year with only having one.  The problem with my dad's steers is both ofhis bulls are fairly mean though nice bulls.  Dad doesn't necessarily raise club calves, but actually raised the grand champion steer one year in our county (which is pretty tough competition wise) and my brother always was in the top 2 places in his weight with his steers.  And even ours this year was really nice - we just didn't have him even close to being finished since we knew nothing about the process and didn't have any help from leaders until mid June with a end of July fair.  On top of that, the steer we had this year got my son's bluff and he ended up scared to go near him.

So we will be getting the angus cross much much earlier this year (in oct, nov or dec instead of feb at 750 lbs) but we are really leaning towards the hereford for the second one - especially for showmanship and some of the club shows that are starting to pop up. 

We are in a small county in Colorado.  From what I have been able to tell it appears that the lowline crosses are winning everything at least for the last few years.  I think there were 2 red steers at fair period.  And one white.  Everything else was black.  And no herefords.

We made tons of mistakes this year, but I think we have learned.  But the biggest one was letting the steer get the best of my son to the point his comment after fair was that at least he didn't die from his steer.  I hadn't realized he was that scared of him until he said that - makes a mommy feel bad for her 9 year old.

We did find out there is a breeder not too far that has really docile cows as a herd but again, they aren't necessarily club calves.  And maybe we will start looking at sales.  This knowing nothing is a pain in the behind.  I HATE learning things the hard way.  Just wish I had found this board way earlier in the year instead of after fair.

LostFarmer

I know there are some TFR Cyrus calves in Manila UT that might make a club calf.  Depending on where in CO you might not be that far. LF

farmin female

When you have a youngster showing ALWAYS, ALWAYS try to fit the calf to the kid.  Herefords are generally known for being docile, but like any animal, you can find a raunchy one.  I would try to find a breeder who has calves in a pen and can tell you right off the bat which calves are going to be dog gentle.  I wouldn't look for a particular breed, I would look for the individual calf.

Silver

kvhranch said:
but we are really leaning towards the hereford for the second one - especially for showmanship and some of the club shows that are starting to pop up. 

If your looking for something for showmanship, or something a little gentler maybe you should have him show a heifer.

herfluvr

GO HERFS!  Son has showed them since his first year and they have won us over with their dispositions.  Herfords are one of the biggest divisions at the county fair and at the Indiana State Fair.  Look for a good one and it will turn heads in a sea of black.  Worst part is learning how to work the hair but it is doable  Sounds like your boy really needs a quiet calf to get his confidence up.  There are some nice breeders in your area.  Morgan Ranch in Burwell NE has some excellent stock and will work with you on getting the calf to fit your needs.  Herford steers for showmanship are the best.  Heifer too if she is bred and not in heat.  Son had herf heifer his second year and she was a dog.  Led her everywhere and she let everyone love on her and gave her share of "kiddie rides".  She was a supreme winner at our very tough fair and she will live her days with us always.  We show crosses as well and have had some very sweet ones but herfs just can't be beat.

ablizzard01

I have some hereford steers that would work for you I even have a all red with a wht face if you are interested i am in ne colorado feel free to call me 970-580-7552.  I can help you

rkmn

herfluvr said:
GO HERFS!  Son has showed them since his first year and they have won us over with their dispositions.  Herfords are one of the biggest divisions at the county fair and at the Indiana State Fair.  Look for a good one and it will turn heads in a sea of black.  Worst part is learning how to work the hair but it is doable  Sounds like your boy really needs a quiet calf to get his confidence up.  There are some nice breeders in your area.  Morgan Ranch in Burwell NE has some excellent stock and will work with you on getting the calf to fit your needs.  Herford steers for showmanship are the best.  Heifer too if she is bred and not in heat.  Son had herf heifer his second year and she was a dog.  Led her everywhere and she let everyone love on her and gave her share of "kiddie rides".  She was a supreme winner at our very tough fair and she will live her days with us always.  We show crosses as well and have had some very sweet ones but herfs just can't be beat.
The first Hereford I owned was from Morgan Ranch. Good people. They can set you up with one for most any level of competition you choose.