Hereford thoughts...

Help Support Steer Planet:

katie_k

I'm feeling partial to wanting to possibly start some Herefords anyone with thoughts on the breed? Any pics would amazing of some things to look for. Thanks so much.

obie105

I personally like them because compared to some of the breeds I have had they have a much better disposition. Right now they aone of the up and coming breeds. Their popularity has been growing.  Just like with any breed if you are buying females look at quality over quantity and you will want sound functional females.

DiamondMCattle

There are alot of good herefords out there. You can be very successful with them, whether you keep them purebred or use them in a crossbreeding program. If your dealing with the show world and want to be successful in a supreme champion drive a good hereford heifer can go out and compete.

RankeCattleCo

I'm in the same boat as you.  I'd like to go out and buy a few bred second calvers and try some expiremental cross breeding as long as keeping about half purebreed.  I think that a bull like Troubadour or Lautner's new bull Gold Rush would throws some pretty interesting colored calves, and fairly competitive ones at that.

katie_k

Only Hereford steer ive had. Any thoughts on him? Not sure what I was looking at

Attachments

• 37338_1330368299566_1241747802_30806682_4236724_n.jpg
    37338_1330368299566_1241747802_30806682_4236724_n.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 68320_1403276289905_1472301874_30863504_6082374_n.jpg
    68320_1403276289905_1472301874_30863504_6082374_n.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 173

shortdawg

<-----------------This is the 2nd Hereford Steer we've shown and they both have been very easy to handle, break, etc. He's a Carpe Diem

simba

I like Herefords because they are easy to feed, easy to work with, and good mommas. Our cows will protect thier calves from predators, but won't chase you up the fence when you're playing around with thier babies. The quiet nature of them just makes everything easier. As already stated, Herefords will cross with just about anything and should give you a pretty cool- or at least cool looking- calf. One fault of the breed, and some people will argue this, but it's just my opinion, is that it's hard to find a clean fronted Hereford female that is still powerfull enough to compete with the other breeds. Like many other Hereford breeders, I'll pick a powerhouse that's a bit wasty over a female that is really clean fronted but lacks power. Hope that kind of answers your question. If you want to see some pictures of my cattle, there's a bunch on my facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barefoot-Polled-Herefords/130977730337906

DiamondMCattle

shortdawg said:
<-----------------This is the 2nd Hereford Steer we've shown and they both have been very easy to handle, break, etc. He's a Carpe Diem
If hes a carpe diem hes not a hereford hes just hereford patterned Im just saying

herfluvr

Herfs Rock!  We have much respect for this breed as it is what our child started with 9 years ago and we haven't looked back since.  It IS the breed to watch at the moment.  We have learned much and with our small herd we do not have enough of them come selling time.  They are very easy to market because we get them broke and once a kid has had one, they love how quiet they are, they are easy feeders and do well in the pen.  Ours are excellent mothers as already stated.  We have raised females to keep and purchased as well.  We look at the breeders that help us be part of thier program.  Soundness is our main focus as we believe you have to build them from the ground up.  Good luck in your search!

Hereford399

Herefords are quiet and gentle around people. But what is really nice is the hereford market now it has gone through the roof in last couple years it is the highest growing breed. The meat is amzing as well. I am a big big fan.

shortdawg

DiamondMCattle said:
shortdawg said:
If hes a carpe diem hes not a hereford hes just hereford patterned Im just saying

Sorry if I mislead anyone ! Down here if he looks enough like a Hereford to class as a Hereford then he's a Hereford. I know Carpe Diem is not a PB Hereford and this steer isn't either. She asked for pics of what Herefords can do so I thought she might like to see him...........just saying.  ;) He's got more product than any calf we've ever shown.

wyatt

i know shes not a herford but you could expect this....

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 383

wiherf

The popularity of herfs has increased greatly in the past few years. A really good show heifer 5 years ago, would cost twice as much now, but what hasn't increased.  Quailtiy has gone up alot too. I go to around 10 sales a year, this past year was the best group of heifer calves i've seen, top to bottom. There still are plenty of opportunities to get a great buy. Do your homework and you can buy a great cow prospect at a reasonable price. I've seen multiple heifers purchsed the last few years for 1-2,000 sell as a 2yr old pair for 7-8,000.  Currently, breeders are going in a couple different directions, you kinda get to see all sides when you get to the bigger shows, (state fairs and up). Go to a few shows and breeders and get a good idea of what your looking for.
There are always some calves every year on 80 acre pastures i can walk out and scratch.
Pictured is the two bulls I took to Denver this year. They are very differnt in kind, but have been very happy with both.

Attachments

• Warden1.JPG
    Warden1.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 142
  • TC.jpg
    TC.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 141

CPL

wiherf said:
The popularity of herfs has increased greatly in the past few years. A really good show heifer 5 years ago, would cost twice as much now, but what hasn't increased.  Quailtiy has gone up alot too. I go to around 10 sales a year, this past year was the best group of heifer calves i've seen, top to bottom. There still are plenty of opportunities to get a great buy. Do your homework and you can buy a great cow prospect at a reasonable price. I've seen multiple heifers purchsed the last few years for 1-2,000 sell as a 2yr old pair for 7-8,000.  Currently, breeders are going in a couple different directions, you kinda get to see all sides when you get to the bigger shows, (state fairs and up). Go to a few shows and breeders and get a good idea of what your looking for.
There are always some calves every year on 80 acre pastures i can walk out and scratch.
Pictured is the two bulls I took to Denver this year. They are very differnt in kind, but have been very happy with both.

What is the story on the TC bull?

wiherf

Res. jr bull calf. He's a Harvie T-bone. Sold him the national sale. Two full sisters have won some shows and sold well too. Full brother born last week, we'll see if the old girl can do it again!