Herf looking club calves-- ins and outs

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

Wow, I'm not bashing a Herford. although I can see where the ones I would have liked would have classified out! (lol)  its my understanding good cattle are good cattle...  

My judging coach, absolutely hated smurfs, as he affectionately called them... There was a time when me wanted us to all put the Herf steers last in a class of mixed colors and breeds, just because they were a herf, and I quote "" take that back, it's inappropriate. We did this for a couple of weeks to a month or so of practice, and in the reasons, our final 2 boxes always read. "Now I find absolutely no value in this calf, other than he's alive and kicking, and as a result I have him in 4th. For here's a steer- who quite simply appears to be a Hereford!" Of course, we were just being smart asses looking for a laugh- but that's the mentality he put in us it seemed.... We did get burned once, during the Denver workout at the BIG feedlot, Magnum I believe is the name of it... Started with a hereford marked calf, and he was a good one.. we all knew he was good, and should win, but were afraid to start with him for his color... thought he was a fleckvieh or something, but still didn't want to gamble with an ass chewing.... Ended up we all put him last, and still got our daily ass chewing...  

Man the judging days in juco were the best!!  I miss them...  

Anyways, not once do I think I'm going to be the one who raises a great one... Heck, out of this group of cows, I'd be happy to just make a $1200 steer!  

To those of you who raise Herf colored club calves, I'd like you to post your website address, so I can take a look at your operations, or email me some pictures @ [email protected]... I'd like to learn more about this endeavor- and some options I might have to take...  

wrc

I have been thinking about doing what you are wanting to do for around 4 years.  It started about 5 years ago when I was trying to help a friend and his son find a reasonably priced herf steer for spring shows in Okla,  we never found one for less than $3500 and that was way over thier budget.  That got me to thinking about trying to raise a few and I have halfheartedly been looking for the right doner cow to do this since then,  problem is I don't think a guy is going to raise what I want with a purebred cow.  I may not ever do it but I do think a guy could make it work and sell quite a few calves.  Good luck.

farmboy

our SP friend Kane(some numbers) sold a cow calf hereford marked pair for quite a chunk o' change this past year to Texas. I would like to see an update on how that Dr Who heifer is doing down there.

kfacres

Here would be my thinking...  Try this out for a couple of years...  See what I can get started..and keep a couple of heifers, sired by the clubby bull-- marked herf...  By the time those heifers will start calving, those old purebred cows will be starting to peter out..  So I'll be able to step in with some 1/4 bred herf heifers, bred to be clubby... then all I gots to do is come back on them with something for a follow up bull!! 

Sounds like a plan... we'll see how it works out...  its all talk and ideas at this point..

herf96

kfacres said:
Wow, I'm not bashing a Herford. although I can see where the ones I would have liked would have classified out! 

My judging coach, absolutely hated smurfs, as he affectionately called them... There was a time when me wanted us to all put the Herf steers last in a class of mixed colors and breeds, just because they were a herf, and I quote "" take that back, it's inappropriate. We did this for a couple of weeks to a month or so of practice, and in the reasons, our final 2 boxes always read. "Now I find absolutely no value in this calf, other than he's alive and kicking, and as a result I have him in 4th. For here's a steer- who quite simply appears to be a Hereford!"

cuz I never saw one that was good enough to "catch my eye"  Just a bunch of narrow gauged animals who wouldn't cut or grade!!

I could not figure out if you were bashing herefords or not from these quotes.  My bad.  Herefords definitely have some bad sides just like every other breed, including maybe the most prevelant one in which you deal.  I am in the shorthorn business too. Dont get me started about their problems.

kfacres

WEll, if you want to hear my honest opinion... If you were to rank the cattle breeds in order of important to least.. .Shorthorns, IMO would be very near the bottom... at least of the "Major" breeds...  They offer very little value to the commercial side of things, and have plenty of problems around the showring..  It's a breed of breeding extremes to extremes and hoping for somehting in the middle...  Not breeding the middle kind of cattle, like other breeds do...  We are also a breed, that goes to one particular sale, spends 40000+ on a h eifer calf, and thinks she's going to help us make it BIG TIME!! 

I enjoy a challenge, and don't have the finacial backing to "compete" with "some"- although I like to think I have more common and cattle sense than some of that "some". 

I got into SHorthorns, because their isn't very many in our "area"- and now I have stayed in and switched directions becuase their isn't "many" "period".- Will I raise a national champ- Prob. not.. but hope to!  seriously how many people do? 

I think opportunity lies in this herf deal, like someone else above thought...  will I make it big out of those cows, prob not- will I enjoy doing what I'm doing, and continue hoping to break even.. hellsa a ya.. 

j3cattleco

The hereford steer deal is way tougher than it looks on the outside espicially in Texas.  We sell hereford steers for a guy who has won every major in texas.  The five keys to getting one classed in Texas are a feather, broken white behind the ears, a broken collar, no white above the jock, and the right person on the halter.  Getting them marked right is a tough ticket.  You don't have to have all of these but the more you do the better chance u have of getting one in.

herf96

J3, the guy you sell for has some good cattle.  Just seen the ones that have been successful and not the cowherd.  I just wish he would turn loose of some of that Rawhide semen.  I never really have tried to get any just been told by some that it wont happen.  Your promoted bull Big Jake looks good.  How do the calves look or have any been born yet.  Cant remember his age to know if calves would have already arrived. 

kfacres, their are a few breeders that would definitely help your on your task.  It is not as easy as it looks though.  It is hard to get semen on particular bulls, and then gettiing the marking correct. I have served on the classification committee for the majors in Texas, and it has been opened a little bit more, but will never get away from the traditional markings.  I would encourage you to come to Ft. Worth and take that look.  I know it would be a drive for you, but not only will you see some good herfs, but some good cattle all the way through with yet some terrible ones as well.  If you can get that good one skies the limits on price.  Latest great herefords with the club calf pedigree have brought as much as 27000 that is a lot of change for a breed steer or any for that matter.  I am as in touch with this business as anyone and the cyle of great ones moves through a select set of breeders and changes breeders throughout the group as time goes but the group does not seem to change.

j3cattleco

Herf96 u and me both on the rawhide deal.  We have tried for years and can't get it done.  If I ever do I will be looking for a good cow in a hurry.  The last two years the calves have been to young so hopefully he got the bulls in a little earlier.  The big Jake calves look good,  huge honed and stout made well see what they look like in a few months. 

herf96

J3, you own that bull with some really good people.  The Carvers have good cattle and are exceptional people.  Dont know you but your operation looks to be a goodone.  The shorty you have been promoting is nice and definitely a thought is in mind to use him.  Just looking for good genetics and both of these bulls look like they will do the job, looking for results before I try.  I am limited to a few number of cattle to AI as we mainly run commercial angus cow calf pairs and dabble in the hereford and shorthorns a little.  Very little in the shorthorn deal.  Once the calves get some age give me a shout I would like to come look.