Heritable Docility?.........AI Bulls Docility?

Help Support Steer Planet:

clubcalve

Heres my look on it. :eek: I think that you can to breed to any bull all you have to do is work with the calf and it could be the tamest calf that you have ever had. I am sure that a little of has to do with the bull and cow but I think that if you work with that calf you can make it tame.

ROAD WARRIOR

I believe that the temporment of cattle is highly heritable. In our breed there are genetic lines that I won't touch with a ten foot pole, and yes there are a few of those that aren't that bad but the majority are nuts. RW

loveRedcows

ROAD WARRIOR said:
I believe that the temperament of cattle is highly heritable. In our breed there are genetic lines that I won't touch with a ten foot pole, and yes there are a few of those that aren't that bad but the majority are nuts. RW

Oh yeah!  We tried the Canyon line once & only once...couldn't get rid of those calves fast enough!  We pay close attention to disposition in our herd (it is heritable) & if they're snorty they get a trip to the packer.

kfacres

kfacres said:
Heres my look on it.  I think that you can to breed to any bull all you have to do is work with the calf and it could be the tamest calf that you have ever had. I am sure that a little of has to do with the bull and cow but I think that if you work with that calf you can make it tame. 
Posted on: Today at 01:16:05 PMPosted by: OhShOwEr 

Dude, this isn't correct, did you not read my post above... 

Also, we milk about 100 cows... and tell me this... why is it our cows get messed with atleast 2 x every day, yet some are nuttier than he double hocky sticks, and some a the biggest puppies in world... None get broke to lead, none get any special care-- but yet most are so tame you could walk up to a 2 or 3year old, put a halter on her, and within a few hours have her completely broke to lead...   However, certain lines are way nuts.. 

Show Steaks

Only calf i ever gave up  trying to break was a registered angus steer by New Design 878 but a 3/4 sister to him was a doll they had been together there entire life.    REALLY hate hairy bear calves if they arent flat wild/mean they lay in wait untill your face is nice and clost to there leg whiel your blowin them out and they kick lol go figure same with yellow jacket calves