high dollar heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

stick

We've talked about the guy side, now how about the girls. What high dollar heifers that never produced come to mind. Hope this doesn't get too long :D

bcosu

i know some were disappointed with simply irresistible. she was the undefeated kadabra of barry nowatzke's. i'm not sure i would be disappointed if her highest selling calf was like 12,000 but some people were.

justintime

I am not sure where to start.... I can think of a mutitude of high dollar heifer calves that had a good show career.... and then never had a natural calf. Was it genetics or was it show feed and show feed additives that caused this... we will never know for sure. I am sure there were many reasons.

There are also numerous others that did produce after their show careers were over, but never came close to producing a calf of either sex... that was in the same league as the dam was.

showgoer

I agree 100%.  Is it coincidence that a lot of heifers (and bulls for that matter) that are shown or on display never produce anything themselves.  Yeah it could be genetics, or being fed too hard and too fat, or stress ~ but why doesn't anyone ever talk about the fact that they might be "altered".  There is big money in breeding stock (more than steers) and for anyone to think that all of these cattle are "natural" ~ you better open your eyes.  A lot of jocks have had to clean up their game when it comes to steers because they test for clen and slaughter looking for oil or air, but the heifers and bulls get loaded on the trailer and go home.  Then semen is sold on a bull that looks awesome and never produces anything.  Or the heifer is sold for big money as a bred or flushes are sold and nothing ever turns out.  Like I said, it could be genetics but it could be that the cattle aren't genetically as good as they appear.

j3cattleco

I'm not going to say that there are not funny things that go on with the show heifer side of things.  But I feel the biggest problem with these high dollar show heifers that never raise anything is that a good SHOW heifer will most likely not make a good COW.  These SHOW HEIFERS are too hard doing too big and too extreme in their make up to be mated consistently.  Sometimes it all clicks and you get a great one but more often than not you get a bunch of throw aways.  I just wish that the disparity between the pasture and the show ring would shrink when it comes to show heifers. 

justme

I wish they put more emphasis on the cow calf pair class in our breed (Maine Anjou).  Seems like that is the forgotten class.  My daughter's show heifer last year won champion maine 13 or 14 times last year and she for one out produced herself with our bull calf were selling.  I feel we over look that class many times.  I'd love to see more show heifers come back in that class.