HIGHFIELD HIGHLER 202ND

Help Support Steer Planet:

j3cattleco

I was just wondering if any of the shorthorn guru's could tell me anything about this bull?  He's in my best cows pedigree, and I don't know anything about him except aldens and some others owned him and that he was imported.  Thanks for all the help.

Doc

He was originally owned by Lazy D Farms, in MO. I saw quite a few real good dtrs of his at Lazy D. I've got some eggs in the tank by him & I think some semen left even. I've got my original flyers that Lazy D sent out promoting their bulls & he is one of them. I'll try to scan & post this evening when I get home. JIT can fill in the blanks some.

aj

I remember the advertisements. I was thinking he was colored like dividend. I assume he was horned.

justintime

Highfield Highler 202 was nicknamed " Culhane" and he was a more moderate bull than some other Irish bulls that came to N America. Like many other Irish bulls, his daughters were much superior to his sons. They were more moderate framed, good uddered and had some volume and shape. They probably were not appreciated as much as they would have been today, as they were more moderate in size, and this period of time was the early stages of the " frame size fad".  I always heard that Culhane dam was one of the very good cows in Ireland. She was a daughter of  Guinness ( Deerpark Improver 2nd). His sire was Highfield Leader who must have been a smaller framed bull, as the few offspring that did see this continent, were all more moderate cattle.
He also was considered to be a good choice to use on heifers as he was a good calving ease sire... at least when compared to some other bulls of the day. He was virtually solid red in colour.... maybe a few small white markings mainly on his legs

I had a few Culhane daughters that I purchased in the US... all made very good trouble free cows. They seemed to be very sound, great uddered, and very fertile.

oakview

Highfield Leader 204 was the red with white marks bull called "Culhane" if I remember correctly.  He was a little smaller framed than 202.  202 was the roan bull originally imported by Lazy D.  Highfield Leader was also the sire of Highfield Una 3rd who is in the pedigree of most of the popular Una females of today (Una Marys, etc).  We purchased Lazy D Ultimate Type from Lazy D in 1982.  He was a son of the original Deerpark Leader out of Highfield Una 3rd and his daughters made tremoundous cows.  His full sister, Lazy D Deerpark Una, was one of the most impressive females I saw in the 80s. 

Doc

(welcome) Have all the new cows settled in yet Oakview? & A lot of people make that same mistake on 204 & 202. 202 was a more even dark roan.

j3cattleco

Well thanks for all the help everyone.  My favorite cow, just keeps getting better.  In her first embryo crop she produced that sonny bull calf we posted earlier.  Then we find out who the only bull I didn't know anything about with in 3 generations is Highfiedl Highler 202nd.  So we have petro 2nd, seven T's John, Dividend, and Highler.  Hope she lives another 10 years. 

justintime

Sorry for confusing the issue at hand with my earlier post. I was thinking about this as I was working today and came to the conclusion that I had confused the two Highler bulls that were imported. Culhane ( Highler 202 was imported by Mike Dugdale to follow Guinness in his herd. Highler 204 was imported by Robert Dahl ( Palo Acres), Gruver Texas and Aldens from Missouri.

Oakview, in regards to Highfield Una 3rd... I agree she was an outstanding female... in fact all three of them were great females.  By this I mean that there were 3 different females named Highfield Una 3rd. We imported one which was sired by Deerpark Leader 18th.( a full sister to Irish Mist) Lazy D had another which was a real excellent female .... and we found another by the same name in the Highfield herd in Ireland. The Una cow family was one of my very favorite lines. Highfield Irish Mist was out of Highfield Una ( her first calf) and she was about the best two year old I had seen at that time. We also imported an amazing female named Highfield Kate 3rd... and I know there were at least of these as well.  Our Kate 3rd was also sired by Leader 18th and she was a white female that was huge. She probably never weighed under 1800 lb and she was a super producing cow for us. Several sons worked in US herds including Bill Smithers in ILL, JW Holmes in Texas, and Leonard Adams in Iowa.

In regards to Seven Ts John, his sire was IDS Touch of Class, who was bred here at our farm. He was sired by IDS Duke of Dublin and his dam was a 1/2 maine female sired by Highfield Irish Mist. I do not know of any other 1/2 Maine females that were solid white,  but she was.... and she would rank amongst the best females we ever raised. I certainly do wish I had her in my herd today, as she would be a definite donor and I would be trying to gather as many offspring from her as I could . She was moderate framed, super thick, easy fleshing and perfect in design and structrure. This female was one of the really good ones that comes once in a long while. back in that era, we could not do much with a  half blood Maine, as neither the ASA nor the CSA recognized them as anything but half bloods.

J3CC... your little bull calf has a pretty good heritage behind him. I would predict he will become a very solid sire, that is if you leave his nuts intact. His genetic makeup is pretty sound.

oakview

The new cows are doing fine, at least as far as I knew last night.  We had 6 inches + of rain overnight and the large creek that runs through our pasture is about as high as I've seen it in over 40 years.  We've had 6 inch rains before, but the creek was bank full before this rain.  The last time it got this high, we lost several cows and calves.  I was unable to get to many areas of the pasture this morning, hope to know more by tomorrow.  For the first time ever, we have significantly more heifer calves than bull calves, both out of Primo and our Trump X Dazzle Fool bull, so I'm hopeful everything works out okay.  I don't feel too sorry for myself, though, considering the tragic losses of our friends near Parkersburg.  My prayers are with you folks.