hillbilly classic

Help Support Steer Planet:

coachmac

Wondering who all on SP is showing this weekend at the Hillbilly!  We having a good time!!!  Some pretty good calves. 

sewwhat

My kids showed both days.  Had fun, always a long.  My son has a small english commercial heifer and won his class both days.  My daughter won reserve champion exotic commercial heifer both days.  Day 2 was interesting as far a oral reasons were concerned. I guess the judge was a man of few words.

coachmac

My daughter showed both days.  It was a tale of two days for sure.  Stood Res overall female day one...... third in class day two.  It was our first year and we really enjoyed it.  The hail was a lil rough on Saturday, but we'll have to take what we get!  Sounds like you had a good show! 

worthabit

coachmac said:
My daughter showed both days.   It was a tale of two days for sure.  Stood Res overall female day one...... third in class day two.  It was our first year and we really enjoyed it.  The hail was a lil rough on Saturday, but we'll have to take what we get!  Sounds like you had a good show! 
I don't understand the showing on two days thing? Does that mean you show the same animals in the same classes on different days under different judges?

sewwhat

I remember that heifer, she is very nice.  Lots of tough competition though.  What breed is she.  Are you from Arkansas.

Yes, it is a two show weekend, with a jackpot the first day,  with different judges and different showmanship judges.  They have been doing this for years.  But recently it has become very popular to do multiple shows at one location.  In Arkansas there is a points system with the junior cattlemen's association with prizes and braggin rights at the end of the year, many shows are going to multiple shows on a single day or weekend to maximize the ability to run for points with limited driving due to the economy.  Last spring we did 4 shows in one day, each one sponsored by a different FFA, or 4 H Club.  Was totally insane.  4 judges,  totally different results, from reserve grand steer, to last in class.  We survived with the last show ending at 11pm.  Never been so glad to come home.  Luckily my son is not as competitive as my daughter and will probably never be interested in jack-potting and going to as many shows as possible as she was.

coachmac

Sewwhat - We had a great time.  You are right.... the competition was tough.  The lil Mainetainer Heifer that placed over us Sat and Res on Sunday was a pretty cool looking calf.  Really appreciated her, but there were many other heifers and steers that looked REALLY nice.  One thing we hadn't experienced was pumping.  That was an eye opener for my wife.  We didn't pump and maybe paid a price for it Sunday.  Our little heifer was a little drawn in Sunday and we could not get her to drink, but going to those measures isnt really part of our game plan.  She is a PB Simmy heifer and my daughter loves her, even if she did NOT want to cooperate the best.  We went to the Bear Classic the weekend before and it was a tough show as well.  I like the two show - one day deal..... the four show one day sounds .... messy.  I know our heifer would not have been able to make it through the day without half a bale of chips hanging off of her glue.  Was that a blow and go deal or did you fit ?  I would have liked to have met some SP people down there, but didnt think about asking until it was too late.  Where were you stalled?  We were on the far west end closest to the budget inn.   

harrisonshowgurl

I showed and got reserve shorthorn steer and reserve angus steer the first day..barely got looked at in my class the second day! I loved the judge the first day, he knew his cattle and could tell you exactly why he placed that calf where he did. The Hillbilly has always been a show where anything goes and I think that it is starting to hurt them with their entries. Some kids will not show in it anymore because of the pumping and having to go up against pumped calves. I have never pumped and won't ever pump, and it can be hard to compete with the calves that have been. All in all, a good weekend!

sewwhat

We were stalled in the section to the east of the arena on the south side isle.  There was a big group "Mountain Home FFA".  We brought 15 calves with our group.  Most of our steers got buried in their classes, but the heifers fared very well.  Funny, the second day one of our boys has a Gelbvieh cross steer and showed him as that breed, and won because he was the only one.  That's strategy.  He did not know he could show that breed the first day.

As far as pumping is concerned, it is illegal at most shows in Arkansas except for this one.  We are very against it personally, so dangerous for the calf if not done right.  Most of our shows have very strict rules, no added hair, no fake color unless it is the calves original color, no pumping, only owner can show the animal, etc.  Always someone trying to break the rules anyway, especially the pumping part.  Hiding calves in trailers and the like.  Many of us are self policing the shows and turning in people who are suspected of "cheating".  Seems like every year someone gets banned at our state fair for "cheating".  The rules are very clear and signs are up everywhere.  The only way a calf can be pumped is by the on call vet if it is or will become a health problem.

Our strategy for multiple shows in a day is to us the "foam", but you gotta have good leg hair to do it.  The people that "fit" either tie their animal up or put carpet under them.  I have decided that 2 shows in one day is our limit.  When they do the multiple shows they run double rings, so you move from 1 ring to the next.  Hopefully the judges are about the same speed, but not usually.  Thats what happened with the 4 shows.  The first 2 went very long, and the "afternoon" dual shows became "evening" shows.

coachmac

Sewwhat- yes I remember the stall and some of the cattle in it.  I really enjoy seeing a group, wether FFA or 4-H, come together and be willing to help each other out.  Glad to hear that you kids had some success in the ring, which will undoubtedly lead to success out of the ring as well!  Growing up showing I know how much I learned and it is nice to know that my kids are, if they choose, going to experience some of the same things that I did as a kid.  Sure is making baseball/softball hard though!  :)  My two are busy though.  I know their time spent in front of a TV has become more of something to "party" about.  lol 

sewwhat

Coachmac -  We have a great group of kids, and very active and supportive ag teachers.  Our high school has an on campus barn, and the kids are able to keep their animals there.  I think this really ads to the team feeling.  It also allows non-traditional kids a chance to become involved in a great program and learn about cattle.  As a group we go to about 6 shows in the spring and 3 in the fall.  Many times the kids will organize a small group to go to extra shows, making their own arrangements for trailers and adults to go along. 

My daughter is a senior so this spring is her last hurrah.  She just was not ready to give it up yet, but did not want to purchase her own cattle as she usually does.  She was able to make arrangements to show a heifer that some friends of friends had, that they wanted to keep, but was show quality.  This is my son's first year and he is just "trying" it out with a sponsored heifer from one of the ag teachers.  I am hoping he enjoys it enough to continue on.  The life lessons you learn from cattle are so valuable.  My daughter has learned about farm loans, managing money, profit and loss, along with the dedication and hard work it takes to take care of animals. Her hard work has paid off with many grand and reserve champion wins and her last two steers made our state fair premium sale.  She has owned and paid for 6 animals, sold the steers for beef, and the heifers for breeding stock; making a profit in the end.  Her ag teacher just purchased her last bred heifer from her, and we are anxiously waiting for the calf to come in May.  Who knows, maybe my son will get to buy the calf from him and show it this next year.  I never imagined that 5 years ago when my precocious 8th grader came home and announced that she wanted a show steer, and she had a way to pay for it and a place to house it, that it would have such an impact on our lives. 

coachmac

That is great they have an on campus show barn.  Provides many opportunities that some kids would never have the chance to experience. 

Would you happen to know who I might contact to get a picture of our calf after Saturdays Champ Drive?  They took a few pictures of the heifer but  I would like too, if possible, see a copy of the pictures.    Thank you.   

wscc

If you will pm me your email address, I will be glad to send you the pics. If you remember, lou's camera died while taking my Son's picture, so I took the picture of yours with my I phone. Would be happy to send it to you, but not positive of the quality.

coachmac

That would be great!  So you had the maine calf?  She was a hairball if so and your son did a great job with her in the ring.  I will pm ya my addy!  Thank you again. 

wscc

Thanks for the comment about my son. He trys really hard, but sometimes looks uninterested. I am always to critical of him on his showing. He is only 10, but I try to get him to show like he is 16. He loves the cattle, ecspecially this mainetainer. she has been very sucsessful for us across the nation this year. We feel very fourtunate to own her. Congrats on your showing on sat, and I wouldn't worry about Sunday. That's the crazy thing about showing, everyone has a diff opinion about what cattle should look like.

coachmac

I can see where a Dad would feel that way.  I try to do the same with my girl, but her problem is she is an incredibly competitive person, but doesnt have enough ring experience to put the icing on the cake.  That was the heifer and daughters second show this year and the fifth show she has competed in, in her life.  To say each time is a learning experience is a great understatement. 

Yeah, the Sunday deal I am not going to sweat a whole lot.  I had a feeling how it would work out for us..... and it was the correct feeling.  Not sure on the overall heifer drive if I agree, but what do you do.  It is subjective and one persons opinion.  I know we really enjoyed watching your heifer in the ring.  She has that "look at me" cockiness that can make a good animal a great one!  We hope you have a great rest of the summer and good luck with everything. 

Shawn

sewwhat

wmcc - I was excited to see yall pull reserve on sunday.  I'm just glad Brandy no longer has a Maintainer, LOL, so we don't have to compete against yall  :).  She's almost done showing though, 3 more shows left and then off to college. :(    My son is "trying out" showing on a little heifer, we will see if he is up to a steer next year.  I really like showing heifers, but it does not work out well for a project loan with the fsa. 

Latest posts