Hip Height- Fair Classes

Help Support Steer Planet:

idahoag

How do most fairs split up market steers for classes?  Is using hip height very common or mostly by weight?  I have seen both and it seems like hip height allows the judge to compare the calves better and faster, especially in the area of muscle and finish.

How exactly is the hip height measured (I know, I know...sounds like a "duh" question but....)? ::)

Medium Rare

Snapshot-2012-08-21-20-06-57.png

as1091-1.gif

CameronW

My fair does market class by weight and the county produced class by hip height.

lightnin4

For years our county fair divided classes by hip height then a few years ago changed to dividing them by weight.  I can see an argument for both.  Obviously with hip height, it would be easier to compare finish on steers of the same frame size in each class.  But dividing by weight automatically sends unfinished steers to the bottom of the class...i.e. easy to see that the largest frame steer in the 1250 lb class should be 1400 lbs.  It kinda makes the ones that are definitely not finished stand out (even to the untrained eye).

frostback

Every calf at that one show has to be weighed with the same scale but I have seen 3 inches different with different guys measuring calves. Some like them stretched out, some bunched up. I think the weight is a more even tool to split classes. Also I don't sell calves by the inch I sell them by the pound.

DLD

It's not a new idea.  Many of the majors did split market steers by hip height for a few years - I know Denver and Kansas City did.  We did at Oklahoma City and Tulsa - I know there were other state fairs and shows, though I'm not sure which one's.  Bottom line is we've been there, done that, and decided that it wasn't the way to go.  As other's have said, it's not as consistent as weighing, and really didn't prove to have any real advantage.

Ms Ray

when split by hip height does the judge still look at weights, if not it would stop people from shrinking down to go in a lighter weight class.

OH Breeder

Our county does shoulder (withers) height. Seems to work well. Animals the same size so visually as others said you can compare cover finish little better. Weights are all announced as well.

Tallcool1

I actually like the combination of height and weight.

I like divisions split by Height, and classes within divisions split by Weight.

It is just a way to get the steers similarly grouped in terms of basic physical makeup.

I see more consistency in Shoulder height rather than Hip height. 

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter how they are split......unless you are the judge. If I were judging them, I would prefer this format over weight breaks only.

AI Man

i got a steer a little tall going to a show is there a way to make him measure a touch shorter  head up down? pull or push his head?