Hip Height Q?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Woody

Here is a question for people who promote bulls.  Why dont you advertise a hip height or a frame score on the bulls?  Not sure if I am the only one that would find that info useful but I think it would help people out a lot if they cant make the trip to see the bull in person.

Okie Boy

I definitely used mature weight and frame score ( in addition to EPD's and picture ) to pick pure bred bulls from ABS this year

Woody

Ok,  I guess I was leaning more towards the clubby end of things.  Take your favorite bull such as Sunseeker or Who or Headliner or even Smilin Bob, whats their frame score?  Scrotal? (Im guessin its in the teens).  Then again to get a frame score you need an accurate birth date so maybe Ill stick to the hip height.

CAB

Woody said:
Ok,  I guess I was leaning more towards the clubby end of things.  Take your favorite bull such as Sunseeker or Who or Headliner or even Smilin Bob, whats their frame score?  Scrotal? (Im guessin its in the teens).  Then again to get a frame score you need an accurate birth date so maybe Ill stick to the hip height.
You need a DOB for frame scores also.

flacowman

I would definitely find it helpful as well.  We give all of that info with purebred bulls and cows but you rarely hear it mentioned with clubby stock

johnmetzger

Does anyone know the hip height of Walks Alone? I'm raising a 7 month old bull by him and it would be nice to know that imfo.

Dyer Show cattle

Woody said:

Funny you listed those bulls, the only one I have not seen is Smilin Bob. But all the others have what I call a real world frame size as in they will make good feedlot calves if they dont make it in the club calf world. Sunseeker, Who, and Headliner all are on what I call large frame size. I am around 5' 10 and there backs were prob all taller than me. (Some of the pens are built up so tough to be real accurate). Headliner I did see last spring so he is still growing but still looks like he is going to make it to a large frame size to me. At stud when sunseeker was around 4 he was one of the most impressive mature bulls I have ever seen, who was well past his prime but still had good frame to him when I saw him. The only other mature bulls I have seen that come close to the size of these at Nichols or Hawkeye are Dr Who, Fat Butt, Aberdeen, and maybe 2 or 3 others that I cant remember the names on them. One was a blue roan at nichols and had Blue on the tag but I never found out who owned him but he was also a very impressive bull. Most of the others that had good frames were just guys herd bulls they were collecting that week or month. I would say the reason why most frame scores and EPDs you don't see in the clubby bull market is because they will not help semen sales only hinder sales. As for young bulls last spring Special Edition, Salty Dog, Thriller, and One and only were the bulls that looked to me that will have moderate to large frames. Most all the others I saw that day looked like they are going to be moderate to small.

Also Walks alone I saw last spring and I would say roughly......I didnt get in the pen with a tape measure......but hip prob 50-55 maybe and back height prob around 60-65. Looks very moderate to small frame to me. But I have seen prob 40 calves out of him that look great and talking with people that used him I have not heard of anyone disappointed. Talked to Wade and Joe last spring and sounds like if you use him he will thrown calves that match the cows frame size....and also you need a cow with just a tick of hair and your set.

Latest posts