Hired man ~~~~~~ Monopoly

Help Support Steer Planet:

zak

Nick21,

What type of cows is monopoly working on?

Zak

herefordfootball

I think we might be looking into trying One and Only next year after I see some of his calves. I really like his breeding and he's double clean. We dont have any carrier cows, but one day we might, ya never know.

DTW

Monopoly semen is expensive because people have figured out what kind of cows to breed him to and he has offspring that is winning.  Another bonus is his calves come about 20 lbs smaller than heat wave out of the same cows. 

From what i see you need to use monopoly on a larger framed cow that has power and he will soften them up and add hair on most of them.  Out of all of the monopolies i have seen i have not seen a throw away so far this year.

WFCC

people have been saying the monopoly make great baby calves and prospects but dont finish very well? any response to that?

DTW

Again i have seen monopoly's that will make great fats as well as prospects.  He will downsize more than heat wave so have to breed him accordingly on the right cows. 

I know a monopoly heifer that is being shown as a market heifer and she isnt even a year old for another 35 days and weighs over 850 already.  She is coming along very good but you cant push to much corn or energy to them or you will burn them out. 

Feeding the calf the right way is as important as the calf you purchase.  You cant just buy six calves and feed them all the same.  They really need to be fed individually depending on your target show and the genetics of the animal

nck21

zak said:
Nick21,

Zak
We just used him on a bigger framed angus based commercial cow and got a really good bull calf. She has a good calf every year but should have bred her clubby sooner. Pic of him below..he is kinda short thats his biggest fault.

Had the other Monopoly today out of a Mossy Oak 2nd timer...was surprised how small the calf was and he doesn't look near as good as the other one. Goes to show you that cows don't have to have clubby genetics to make a good one.

Attachments

• mp.jpg
    mp.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 458

Buck

nck21 said:
zak said:
Nick21,

We have 2 Fall borns that we will be showing this season. One out of a Stacked Deck cow that is deep and correct just not enough power. The other is out of a Playmate cow and is an awesome steer! Has it all including a little too much attitude, but if we can get him to come around this year will be fun!.

Zak
We just used him on a bigger framed angus based commercial cow and got a really good bull calf. She has a good calf every year but should have bred her clubby sooner. Pic of him below..he is kinda short thats his biggest fault.

Had the other Monopoly today out of a Mossy Oak 2nd timer...was surprised how small the calf was and he doesn't look near as good as the other one. Goes to show you that cows don't have to have clubby genetics to make a good one.