hog help

Help Support Steer Planet:

wv

I know this is a cattle board, but we've got a market hog with a bad front leg. His left knee is pretty swollen and he has made his other legs sore from favoring the hurt one. They stay in 8x8 pens by themselves unless they are out getting worked so I dont really know how he injured it. It's gotten to the point now he doesn't get up with out someone making him. I gave him a big dose of Tylan on the first day, no results, so he has been getting ten aspirins twice a day for a couple days now. Any suggestions?

vc

Has the swelling gone down any, is the hog moving any better? Do you know if it is an injury or a joint problem? If it is an injury I would try and get the swelling down and not push the pig, let it recuperate for a while. If you think it may be a joint problem I would try some of the joint supplement's out there to see if it helps.

You could also go to BW and ask for assistance on the hog forum

txshowlamb

It sounds to me like a joint problem probably what happene is he grew quicker than his muscle joints and bones could keep up with I dont think you can fix it now. When will he be shown? Also for next time start them off on feed mixedc with glucosamine spplements help them keep up on growing everything evenly. Also have you checked his hooves?

aggiegal

We've shown hogs a long time and joint issues are by far the hardest to work with.  If it just delveloped overnight, it's an injury not PPLO etc (usually see this on rear hocks anyways).  I would give a long acting antibiotic (Naxcel or Exceed work great in swine) and it never hurts to use DMSO on swelling.  Probably wouldn't hurt to give a shot of Banamine as well (from vet).  Remember to watch withdrawal times on any drugs used if your close to a show date.  Limit exercise.   

I would start on a joint supplement like Sunglo's In Motion or over the counter generic Glucomsomine/Chondrotin tabs as a preventative.  You can get them at WalMart or any pharmacy.  Give the adult human dose.  We also add Wheat Germ Oil to our feed daily.  If we have them on self feeders we mix a gallon in with the feed when we fill feeders (double holed).  If we're hand feeding we give 2 oz per feeding.  It was first recommended to us by a vet as the high levels of Octacosynal (spelling?) really seem to help with not only joint/mobility issues, but hair/feet as well.  You can buy it at most feed stores.

Another option is BoSe injections, which when given early enough and monthly can really help with joint inflamation and mobility.  You need to be careful and give EXACT dosing.  This must be obtained through a vet.  There is withdrawal on this, so read the label carefully. 
Hope this helps.

aggiegal

Forgot to mention to watch the aspirin as you can cause ulcers.  Use Probios or yogurt to help keep the gut healthy.  Banamine if given more than 2-3 times can blow their gut too!

wv

Thanks for the suggestions. I just came in from the barn and its swollen to about the size of a golf ball and very hard. I called the vet today and he said it may be an abscess, so I went through all the commotion of holding him downand trying to put a needle in it to see whether it was or not for nothing. He was to got to the state fair August 7 and be sold at our county sale August 23 so withdrawl times arent a huge issue. The lameness hasnt been overnight but the swelling seemed to occur rather quickly. He did stand on his own tonight but immediately went back down. He screams like crazy and quivers when he gets up. Its hard to watch and makes me wander where to draw the line and put him out of misery.

aggiegal

Is there any chance it could be broken???  I've seen one that did what your describing while being hauled in a trailer.  He broke a front leg.  Believe it or not, he did heal when left in a small confined pen....went on to win breed champion even!  Go Figure.  I'd have put him down for sure if he had been mine. 
I've seen many hogs with PPLO have difficulty getting up and shaking bad when they do....  However, even with really bad cases, I've never seen one "scream" as you put it.
If it were me, I'd haul to the vet for sure.  Banamine and Bute combined should help with pain and swelling if it's an injury.  You might give a pepcid AC tablet (hide in a marshmellow or something) to pervent stomach ulcers if you use them for a few days, just in case.  I would do this for sure, if he is in that much pain.  Ask your vet his/her opinion.
good luck

kanshow

Aggiegal gave some good advice..  Get him treated for the pain & possible injury & put him on the joint supplement - IMO Sunglo's In Motion is the best.

We had one that chipped a bone in the hock last year... never was really lame but got all swollen & appeared to be an abcess.  We opted to have the pig butchered for our own use - and asked the locker plant to look for the problem..