Hog question?

Help Support Steer Planet:

KPSC

what is the best way to hold a pig to keep them looking fresh? thanks for any  and all info. :)

Jace

Honor Show Chow Powerfill. Feed 3 lbs/day for 1 lb gain/day. Keeps them fresh. Had my barrow holding on it for like 30 days, and he looks amazing still. Good Luck!

kanshow

How long & how hard?    

Final Control, Full Tank, & a little bit of the regular feed. 

ETA, our barrow hit the target weight about 3 weeks so we actually peeled a few pounds off & have held him there since.  He still looks good.

KPSC

We have two weeks to weigh in and our barrow is at max weight. by no means is the boy overly fat, just big top and butt. so he has been cut down to half of his normal feed a day. we have to haul a heifer up to another farm so we are thinking of throwing him on the trailer for the ride and see what that shrinks him. it would maybe be an hour round trip. we are walking him every night. i appreciate all the info and help because he has to make weight because the gilt we have is too light and just has not gained like the barrow.

kanshow

We weigh in on Friday and have been holding really hard at a weight under where we want to be so have started our barrow back up just a little bit.    Although he never looked bad/stale, he already looks a  little fresher after just a couple days back into it.  Got our fingers crossed we don't weigh out because it will be close but we too are counting on the 3 hr drive to help us. 

dutch pride

We like using steam rolled oats to limit feed with. I know it is a little late for you but we have found it best to try to hold them back at around 200-225 #s if they are to heavy and then bring them back to full feed about 3 weeks before the end show so they will have enough fill and capacity along with finish that most judges seem to be looking for now.

DLZ

BCCC

I feed final control, full tank, adn a little bit of feed when holding hogs, it works really well, and they never really do look stale like they do when using oat groats and the million other ways to hold a pig. Also Honors powerfill works but is REALLY expensive(almost 90 dollars a bag)

Jace

BCCC said:
I feed final control, full tank, adn a little bit of feed when holding hogs, it works really well, and they never really do look stale like they do when using oat groats and the million other ways to hold a pig. Also Honors powerfill works but is REALLY expensive(almost 90 dollars a bag)
Not sure where you are paying $90/bag, but I get mine for $30/bag, that is pretty good for me seeing that it makes them look good. Good Luck!

Latest posts