Holding Big Fall Heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

obie105

I know what we have done in the past on 2 different heifers but I wanted to see what other people did to hold the big fall heifers and keep them looking fresh. We have a late Sept heifer that is weighing over 1300 currently and I think she is starting to get a little fat for my liking so I wanted to start to go into holding mode a little bit. She is bred and should calve in the late Sept. We feed a feed similar to AAOKs ration and beet pulp with hay. On the past 2 we just cut the grain back to 12 lbs a day and added beet pulp and cotton seed hulls to make up for the actual grain we took away. It also kept them looking full and it seemed to keep them fresh appearing. What other options are out there? Can always learn something else

HeiferShower14

Just let them eat hay and mineral. Thats what im doing with my heifers and they look great. Works good for me it may not work for you. But its worth a try if you dont want one too fat.

obie105

Shes still have being shown ao she has to have some condition tho. We had her on a diet lol for a about a month with just some good hay and took some off of her but I would just like to keep her where she is at now. Without losing anymore.

shortyjock89

We usually don't feed ours more than a scoop of feed all winter and crank the protein up on them a bit. We also feed Femininity from Oxy-gen to trim up their necks and bellies. Then about the 10th of march we start feeding them again, most of them don't need a whole lot. Just a little bloom for Jr Nationals, and then coast to state fair. We shuck them out starting about 10 days ago, they're a little harder to hair up than the short yearlings.

HeiferShower14

Lots of cotton seed hulls and beet pulp. I use alot of oats along with the hulls and beet pulp. Im showing my heifers also and all there on hay and mineral just because i have them right were i want them condition wise. And they do get grain maybe twice a week but i'd rather them not have big fat pones and a huge brisket.