Home made Christmas gifts

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

Ok, this is a "spin off" of Ms. Red's coffee thread, but this is a cool home made gift for coffee fiends everywhere.... (Especially good for small teachers gifts)

Take a candy cane and dip (several times) in melted milk chocolate.  Do several, Wrap up in clear cellophane with nice ribbons, and put in coffee mug.  These make a nice peppermint, chocolate stirrer for the coffee person!

I have also seen plastic spoons coated in chocolate for coffee stirrers.

What kind of home spun things do you like to do??

red

I do a lot w/ dried flowers. I've made arrangements w/ them. also have pasted them on wooden objects like little boxes & birdhouses & then varnished.

Making up mixes of cookies & bars is really a good idea too. That way they can have fresh homemade cookies later. I've also made up gift baskets for my sisters using things that they are interested in. I love getting a basket w/ different coffees & really neat mug.

For the show lover a basket w/ different show supplies, a scotch comb & a really colorful halter & neck tie are neat. You could put them in a plastic bucket or something similar.

Red

cattlejunky

I do baskets for my friends and neigbors with a little candle, a holiday dish towel, homeade cookies, and sometimes a christmas note pad or mug, and maybe some chai tea.  I like the candycane idea.  I think I may add that to my basket this year.

red

Maybe this should be a new thread- how far are you on Christmas shopping? I'm all done but I did all mine on-line!

Red

knabe

speaking of threads, i bought my mom a grocery bag of seconds for quilting
got my dad a book about how to carve the equivalent of duck decoys except for fish and also painting them, limited run of 500 or 1000 books
got a few other rare books for gifts, books are awesome.
my dad usually makes gifts for christmas
there's a local guy who makes politcally incorrect ornaments and another place that makes fancy ornaments
last year i got an old print of cartoons of fly fisherman, got a really fancy tied fly and a print of a famous artist and put it in a frame for my step dad.
giving a jim lents line breeding book for a gift this year.
haven't made much time this year for gifts.

cowz

red said:
Maybe this should be a new thread- how far are you on Christmas shopping? I'm all done but I did all mine on-line!

Red

I was bad and did most of mine online over Thanksgiving.  But, was really bad and took a 100 mile detour on the way to Nebraska to go to Cabelas.  How fun!  Look out fish and elk!

Jill

You know it's funny, we are 15 minutes from Bass Pro and about 25 from Cabela's, those places were a lot funny to shop at when they were a long ways away.

cowz

I ditched the hubby and boys and shopped.  I just hope I don't get camo long johns for Christmas!

common sense

My sister is a bonafied tree-huggin', vegie-eatin' city slicker.  We make her CRAZY with our "beef".  For Christmas we bought her a dried buffalo scrotum bag...complete with long wooly brown hair.  I am going to decorate it and fill it will goodies.  Does anybody have any clever ideas of what I could fill it with?  I would love to fill it with animal related things but there is that little issue of shipping and freshness! 

red

that sounds like a good use for Gidget's Bling Bag! I can just see the look on your sister's face!
You are just too much!!!

Red (clapping)

Rocky Hill Simmental

The home made gift I always give to people is a drawing. Every Christmas I get a huge piece of poster board and draw a picture on it and give it to my grandparents. I know that sounds kind of strange but I'm not that bad at drawing/painting. I painted probably 80% of the cafeteria mural at my old highschool and always enter my art at the district fair and I have yet for one not to place.

I always draw animals as Christmas gifts. I've drawn cattle, baby calves, dogs, deer, and last year a horse with a young foal at her side. I think their favorite is a deer fawn laying in the grass.
For my Godparents I drew a hereford and a simmental calf because he's an angus fan  :D I'm mean.  ;D

I was going to major in art at college but I dropped the classes and took general education courses and I'm thinking about going to agriculture. I couldn't see eye to eye with most of the art staff. They said I would automatically fail if I took off to go to the fair and show cattle. Also I'm not into those abstrat things...  (lol)

Anyway, I love homemade Christmas gifts. They're always the most special.  :)

common sense

OMG, I can't stop laughing.  That is quite priceless.  Thank you for the ideas...I am sure she will LOVE them! 

SRU said:
beef jerkey and slim jim!  a gift certificate mail order beef!

common sense

That is really special and thoughtful.  One year we wrapped our gifts in plain brown paper and then when we were sitting around in the evening we would draw, paint or doodle on all of them to decorate.  I have a rubber stamp that is a cow hoof so I put cow tracks all over the packages.  We topped them with colorful bows/ribbons.  Everyone really enjoyed the gifts.

Rocky Hill Simmental said:
I always draw animals as Christmas gifts. I've drawn cattle, baby calves, dogs, deer, and last year a horse with a young foal at her side. I think their favorite is a deer fawn laying in the grass.
For my Godparents I drew a hereford and a simmental calf because he's an angus fan  :D I'm mean.  ;D

Anyway, I love homemade Christmas gifts. They're always the most special.  :)

justme

common sense said:
My sister is a bonafied tree-huggin', vegie-eatin' city slicker.  We make her CRAZY with our "beef".  For Christmas we bought her a dried buffalo scrotum bag...complete with long wooly brown hair.  I am going to decorate it and fill it will goodies.  Does anybody have any clever ideas of what I could fill it with?  I would love to fill it with animal related things but there is that little issue of shipping and freshness! 

Where did you find that????? I gotta know, my husband always does jokes on my mom.  I'd fill it with chocolate no bake cookies....Evan calls them cow pie cookies lol.

justme

My daughter loves to take candy canes and make reindeers out of them with a red nose, pipe cleaner antlers, and google eyes.  We've also took a white pillar candle and painted a snowman face on it.  Painted a straw hat for on top of it and ripped some flannel for a scarf.  We like to give something to the teachers that the kids help make.

knabe

common sense said:

bean embryo's of different types in a bag with a label that shows them screaming, and a little custom pamphlet of evil farming practices that plant them too close together etc.  get her the book ominvore's dilemna, a petition by PETA for protection of bacteria and viruses, a freegan membership card, an empty deodorant bottle (well i guess that one is mean although it's popular with vegans who swear off deodarant) 

get her a flier about jainism      http://adaniel.tripod.com/Jainism.htm
They won’t walk in fields where there are insects to prevent the possibility of stepping on them. They also cover their mouth to prevent the possibility of swallowing small invisible microbes.

now that's dedication

and to toot our horn
http://animalinsider.blogspot.com/2007/12/path-to-alternative-fuel-found-in.html, our facility worked on those gut bacteria.

knabe

common sense said:
One year we wrapped our gifts in plain brown paper

i've been doing that for over 20 years with grocery bags with christmas print.  i also use copy paper boxes for suitcases.  it got so bad that one year my dad initiated a tradition where he reuses a box that he got me a slicker in for a joke gift to start present unwrapping.  usually it's stuff he wants to get rid of like wing tip shoes from 20 years ago.

reusue, don't recycle

Latest posts