Homedale creole 135

Help Support Steer Planet:

kiblercattle

Has anybody seen this bull or have calves out of him yet? Do you think he is would work in a commercially oriented setting? What are your thoughts on his sire as well?

Lucky_P

As a commercial producer, using some Shorthorn sires on Angus/SimAngus cows (as well as Angus and Simmental sires) - with minimal knowledge of Shorthorn genetics, and little concern about the showring or 'appendix-free' status - I'd say yes, based on his epd profile, that I would consider him to be potentially useful.  I've seen worse.
There are other SH bulls with comparable or better CED/BW and better WW/YW that would (and likely will) get the nod first, though. 

Lucky_P

Fairly new to the Shorthorn deal.  Still sort of feeling our way through it, with some helpful recommendations from folks here, and a couple of trusted friends who grew up with SH cattle.
Because of all the horror stories we'd heard/read about high birthweights in the SH breed, we 'got our feet wet' using Waukaru Gold Mine 2109, primarily for the high CED/low BW epd - but WW (principal concern, with regard to marketing steer calves) was acceptable. I'm now very comfortable with the calving ease from 2109;  daughters are making nice cows, steers have been as good as the Angus-sired contemporaries.
Have used A&T Captain Obvious and the Rob Sneed 034 bull - first calves by those bulls hit the ground last September. They look good, but have not taken a trip across the scales yet.

Waukaru Coppertop 464 is getting heavy use here on mature cows -reasonable CED/BW,  high WW/YW, high MCE, top 3% of breed for $BMI - and has 4/6 of the GeneStar tenderness gene markers, 2/4 for marbling.
Used Waukaru Gold Card 5042 on some second-calvers last fall.
Looking at DRC 101VM for use at some point - as well as a few others, like A&T Renegade & Rawhide. Have had some good recommendations for JSF Navigator T2 for boosting REA.
Pretty much gotta be a solid red bull for me to consider 'em - the local market wants black - and out of my cows, most are coming black - though I've got enough red-carrier cows in the herd that some of the calves are coming red.  Would prefer red heifers and black steers - but it doesn't always work that way.

I'm open to suggestions....

J

JTM

Wanted to let you know there is a thread about A&T Renegade which includes calf pictures and video of him.

kiblercattle

Always considered the waukaru bulls like them on paper maybe not as much in the pictures. Glad to here good things abou them, do you believe that there calves have enough depth? I guess I always thought they looked a bit shallow. I am I the same boat as you with they have to be red kinda looking for a bull to use on cows that will give some power. I can find all sorts of roan bulls i think will do the job but afraid of getting some color.

Jtm thanks I have been watching his thread not really needing a calving ease shorthorn. Right now I am using hillside leader and a improver 2k son that both are from joe bales.

GAL

JSF Navigator T2 will increase muscling in your calf crop.  We have used him on Angus cows with great success.  Solid black with lots of body.  We have some pictures of some of his sons on our website www.galbreathfarms.com 

Attachments

• JSF Navigator T2 (800x533).jpg
    JSF Navigator T2 (800x533).jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 325

sue

GAL said:
JSF Navigator T2 will increase muscling in your calf crop.  We have used him on Angus cows with great success.  Solid black with lots of body.  We have some pictures of some of his sons on our website www.galbreathfarms.com 

Ryan
So glad you posted the new picture of Nav.  I saw him last fall and wondered why not up date  his photo? Deep smooth son of Real world with a dam older then dirt ! I walked right up to him !
Renegade and Rawhide are nearly identical ( about a month apart when I saw each bull) ... dark red and very similar phenotype, it will be interesting to see how the sire groups compare?
  Dover ( DRC 101VM) is pretty gentle, very glad to have a met him in person. Naturally I love Captain the most, the bull for bad attitudes and udders!  034 is still the most consistant "uniform maker" in a commerical setting, he is the bull to use if you need it, his semen can ship out of Cattle Visions or Genex of Strattford, MO just call myself or Rob Sneed.  Kibler, Homedale has been around awhile, call Frank and talk to him about the Creole son. 

mark tenenbaum

there aresome other solid red deep bosied bulls from the Enticer (Goldwalk,Byland Dazzler etc) scholos that are proven-some for many years-KL Double Duty (Kieth Lauer-anything with his breeding works,they are moving Sullivan and Jungles right along)-or sons (Mart Loving) -lowest bw Epds in the breed for 14 years, FF REDMAN-Proven hiefer bull,very high quality cattle-Bollums-Franz Farms-Minn,GB Daybreak Express-second calvers SUPER STYLE,-SEK-or Cattle Visions,Sull Payday-new-out of Lauers,super low bw functional breeding with a touch of proven low BW maine-sek-cattlevisionsSeveral of the Canadian bulls,-like Diamond Prophecy,and the red Miuidale Buster Bull-sek-or Cattle Visions, and the Red-Ryder-Rodeo drive school- DFS Red Ryder-Stangle Shorts-Aegerter, Red Storm-SEK -or Cattle Visions,

Shorthorn Newbie

Kibler, don't know if you checked 135 out on our site (nextgenerationfarms.com) or not but I think he is an impressive bull. Our photo is of him on pasture at the end of breeding season with about 15-20 heifers at Frank's place. His first calves are due this spring so don't have anything on them yet but am expecting some really nice calves all out of 1st calf heifers. He should be excellent calving ease with low-moderate BW and he was 890 lbs at 8 months of age with a REA of 13.9, 1.56 REA/cwt I believe. Semen is $20/straw through Genex.

kiblercattle

Shorthorn newbie, I did I really like him right now I think it's between him and jsf navigator.

RyanChandler

A have some cows that are sired by T4- a flushmate to T2.  They are my best cows.  A little too much milk for me but if you prefer a more angular cow- he's your ticket.

kiblercattle

Gal, what kind of disposition and birth weights can you expect from navigator. Also how ate there feet And udders?

J

JTM

kiblercattle said:
Always considered the waukaru bulls like them on paper maybe not as much in the pictures. Glad to here good things abou them, do you believe that there calves have enough depth? I guess I always thought they looked a bit shallow. I am I the same boat as you with they have to be red kinda looking for a bull to use on cows that will give some power. I can find all sorts of roan bulls i think will do the job but afraid of getting some color.

Jtm thanks I have been watching his thread not really needing a calving ease shorthorn. Right now I am using hillside leader and a improver 2k son that both are from joe bales.
The thing that is different about A&T Renegade in which Sue can probably testify the same of Captain Obvious is that he is definitely a multiple traits kind of bull. Low birthweight, correct shape for calving ease, but they grow like weeds. Renegade had an adjusted weaning weight of 720 at 6.5 months old and no creep. About 15-20 calves out there and they are performing very well so far and have definitely stood out as fast growers. I really cannot express how good this bull really is without sounding like a complete whacko tootin my own horn,(I guess I just did ;D) but I've had a few other good bulls too and none of them can perform consitently in all the areas that Renegade has so far.

kiblercattle

JTM said:
kiblercattle said:

The thing that is different about A&T Renegade in which Sue can probably testify the same of Captain Obvious is that he is definitely a multiple traits kind of bull. Low birthweight, correct shape for calving ease, but they grow like weeds. Renegade had an adjusted weaning weight of 720 at 6.5 months old and no creep. About 15-20 calves out there and they are performing very well so far and have definitely stood out as fast growers. I really cannot express how good this bull really is without sounding like a complete whacko tootin my own horn,(I guess I just did ;D) but I've had a few other good bulls too and none of them can perform consitently in all the areas that Renegade has so far.
Do you have any updated pics of him. To be honest the pic of him you have doesn't do much for me makes him look like he's lacking in his hindquarters.

J

JTM

I guess he is lacking a bit in the hind quarter if I compare him to Star Bucks or Complete. He is only a two year old and the pictures I have of him are at one year old and two years old. Not quite the best representation but that's what I got. I'm not concerned about his hind quarter because his calves are pretty powerful with nice hips on them. Long spined too. I just wanted to be clear that he isn't just a calving ease bull. I think sometimes people think that because a bull can be used on heifers that they are automatically not going to perform like other high bw bulls and that is not always the case.