"Homemade" projects

Help Support Steer Planet:

coachmac

I was looking through the classifieds and noticed a calf exerciser that is for sale posted by 6M Ranch.  Got me thinking..... has there been a thread with pictures, designs, and/or ideas for homemade items that would help each of us out?  Pretty much anything livestock related, I would think, would be interesting.  I know there is a page or two in Successful Farmer Magazine that showcases "stuff" made by farmers that might just help someone else out.  Some ideas ..... clipping chutes, working systems, walkers, feeders, bins, barns, sheds..... like I said, pretty much anything.  What do you think? 

coachmac

There is an archery website that I log on once in a while that has a DIY thread and it has taken off like wildfire.  I will try to post some things when I get home.  Don't have it available right now, but please, anyone feel free to add appropriate stuff. 

justme

My daughter also shows lambs.  She's gotten pretty competitive and needed to go to the next level for competition but didn't want to spend a fortune.  She sketched what she wanted and they built this to walk the lambs.  My son just loves driving them and the corgis just live to follow it and make the lambs stay up.

Attachments

• lamb walker.jpg
    lamb walker.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 209

coachmac

Looks good!  Do you have plans drawn up?  I have some kids in our 4-H group that could use a lil rig like that! 

kanshow

Way to go EVAN!!    I have a picture of Ethan doing the same thing including the trailing corgis.

How about brackets to hang fan cages & chutes to the side of trailers?

coachmac

kanshow said:
Way to go EVAN!!     I have a picture of Ethan doing the same thing including the trailing corgis.

How about brackets to hang fan cages & chutes to the side of trailers?

Exactly..... that stuff would be great!  anything and everything farm related would be fair game in my mind. 

I know we have all built stuff before with and without plans, but, buy sharing, we could save a little time in the R and D department.  Sometimes we assume that even the simplest projects would not be welcome because "everyone" already has that, or could replicate it easily.  Not always true!  There are some people on here that are pretty new in the livestock industry that could use some assists from some of us that have been around it for a while. 

farmershane3

i have made a couple of those wall hay feeders. really quick and easy to make. just used re-rod

coachmac

I have a pic of a show panel , but I can't get it to upload.  It is in BMP format.  any help would be great. 

cjtwmc

we have a calf puller that hooks to the 3-point hitch on a tractor. it works great because you can walk 3 calves at once, you didnt get beat up when they are full of energy like when they come out of the cooler during the summer at night, you know they get exercised instead of just kicking them out in the feild at night and if u have a stuborn one and no donkey it shows them whos in control. we also built our own double blower stand that is actually alot nicer than the ones sullivans sell cause it has a shelf on it for holding oils, brushes, combs, etc.

Danna

Would you mind sharing your plans for the blower stand, or maybe at least a picture?

beattieclubcalves

cjtwmc said:
we have a calf puller that hooks to the 3-point hitch on a tractor. it works great because you can walk 3 calves at once, you didnt get beat up when they are full of energy like when they come out of the cooler during the summer at night, you know they get exercised instead of just kicking them out in the feild at night and if u have a stuborn one and no donkey it shows them whos in control. we also built our own double blower stand that is actually alot nicer than the ones sullivans sell cause it has a shelf on it for holding oils, brushes, combs, etc.

we have the calf puller also we have one to hook up to a 3 point on a tractor and 2 of them to hook up to a pick up they work great!