Hoof Rot

Help Support Steer Planet:

zak

Does hoof root come on gradually and can they get is from standing in pretty deep mud around a bale ring? And is hoof root always visible from the outside of the hoof?

Zak

CAB

What really kind of happens when foot rot is diagnosed is that yes usually the affected animal has either been standing in mud or something similar and it's hooves have gotten soft and then they happen to possibly step on something to create an opening to let bacteria in and get a start. It would be similar to us and for example try to clip your toe nails sometime when they are dry, then clip them again next time after soaking in a tub or even after a shower. Your nails/hooves will be way easier to penetrate/cut after they are wet. So to answer your question, yes the standing in the wet has a little to do with your chances of getting foot rot, but yes also it does need an opening to let the bacteria in, but another case may be caused by let's say accidentally stepping on a nail or other abrasions can let the bacteria in also. If foot rot is suspected you'll want to examine the foot just in case that something is in the foot. Foot rot usually responds well to several different antibiotics.

zak

The cow that I suspect has foot rot can't put much weight on her one leg. Her leg doesn't seem to be sowellen but with all the mud plastered to her leg it's hard to tell. Is LA 200 the best to give and how often would I give it. My only other guess if it's not hoof rot would be a broken or fractured leg but I would think the leg would be really sowellen.

Zak

LN

It could be just a cut if the foot isn't swollen. If the foot is swollen then there is an infection and antibiotics should be used. Noromyacin 300 has been really effective for us. Be sure to read the label because foot rot is treated at a different dosage level from pinkeye.

JWW

i am not giving any veterinary advice but some things to observe:
if the leg was fractured the cow would more than likely NOT put ANY weight on it, Nor 300 works also read the label for Nuflor as it is indicated for footrot.

JWW

CAB

When I treat for foot rot with La-200, I use 5mls/100 lbs of body weight with the highest dose that I ever get a mature cow being 50mls + I usually give one sustain III bolus/3oolbs body weight with 3 boluses being the max. I usually treat twice even if I see very good response to the first treatment. This is the treatment I always start with B/C I have it on hand and is economical to use.

r2scott

If it is foot rot and she has not had it long the la200 will help her in a day. It has been really wet here this year and i have had several cows get foot rot this year.

firesweepranch

We have had a HUGE problem with foot rot this summer! The vet said it was because the really dry ground in SW MO and they step on twigs and cause a crack or sore and the bacteria has a place to grow. If you can get a look at the foot, if you run your finger between the toes and it smells like dead flesh (or thrush in horses), then it is foot rot. We treat with Bio-Mycin 200, 5 ml per 100 pounds. Had a 1600 pound cow this summer and she got 80 CC, sub Q, no more than 12 to 15 per injection site. She was ticked at me when I was done! We had at least 8 cases, and just three weeks ago had a calf get it. We diagnose it by the swollen foot and limping, lower leg. They are usually better within 24 hours, and swelling gone in three days.
We must have the bacteria rampant in our soil, but this is the first year we have had a problem with it. Very expensive when you have so many! Several people have told me that is has been bad this year!

hamburgman

Zactrain or Micotil work great.  Hoof rot is not always visible from the outside.

chambero

Nuflor or Micotil will quickly heal footrot with one shot, faster than LA200.

Our cows really "carry on" when they get a case of foot rot.  It must be really painful for them.  No, you cant always see it,

Latest posts