Hoop Building for calving

Help Support Steer Planet:

BRF

Where we are in iowa there isnt hardly anything for pasture within 75 miles. We have been looking into building a hoop building to calve out cows and also for more room for the cows during the summer. I was wondering if anyone else had built a structure like this?

LLBUX

Just finished a 50 x 112' hoop barn with about 1/3 devoted to cattle pens.    I think I'm gonna like it.  I left South and east ends open.  Air moves great through there.

I almost got in trouble during the build.  Day three of construction found a person from the Il Dept of Ag waiting for me when I got home from work.

They wanted to know my plans for the building and informed me that I needed a permit and inspection if I wanted to house livestock in the barn. 
I am also not allowed to store dry fertilizers and Ag chemicals inside.      I got the number of a guy in charge in Springfield and called him the next day.
I was informed a set back of 1/4 mile is necessary from my closest neighbor's property line(not house).  I was also informed a manure management plan
is usually needed to prevent runoff.

I told him we would be raising a few 4-H calves for my son and that we would certainly never exceed the 45 head limit.  (45 head of any livestock, even chickens)
We will never have the Ag chemicals or fertilizers in there either.  They waived the permit and setback requirements based upon my testimony. 
Basically, we will be ignored unless someone makes a complaint or I allow waste to accumulate.  They also informed me they could come inspect at any time,
with or without my permission.

I tell you this because the dealer knew about my desire to house showcalves and restrictions on doing so.    He chose not to tell me, just so he could sell a building. 
According to the IDOA, it is a common occurance.  dealers do not tell the customer.

I am having custom gates built this week for my pens.  Once I get them installed, I will post some pix.  I am still spreading gravel and have to wait for spring to finish concrete work.  I will have 5- 16 x 16' pens inside with 4 outside runs.  I also have a feed/tack room and 24' of grooming/wash space on that side.

My building lies E-W. It is on 7' sidewalls.  East and South are open.  I have a 16' rolling door in the west end.  West and North sides are sheeted in steel rather than fabric.. 
Air movement is great.  Light is good.    These buildings are very cost efficient.

Iowa may be tougher than IL as far as livestock buildings go.    Good luck!

worthabit

We have a 40' x 100' barn of which half is used for equiment storage and half for cows. I think it is a great building. Air flow is great, natural lighting is great and in the winter  on a sunny day it is very comfortable in there. We have 8' walls so we can drive a tractor with cab down the side and 20' doors on either end. 6 years ago when we put it up, the tarp went on in 45 minutes and cost around $6000. Try and shingle a 40 x 100 roof in that time and cost.

LLBUX

Here is a pic of my 50 x 112' barn at the end of day 4. 

Other pic is a sketch of the floor plan I am using.

Attachments

• Hoop barn.jpg
    Hoop barn.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 2,488
  • hoop barn floorplan.jpg
    hoop barn floorplan.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,962

Quello

What were you looking at for cost for the shell, no floor or interior construction

LLBUX

With the tall sidewalls and enclosing the end/sides in steel, it came in under $40K  They added about $15K to basic price.

It was a little over half the cost of a similar-sized Post-Frame shed with steel sides/doors.

I already wish it was bigger!

BRF

thanks for the pictures. What kind of building is that? we were looking into a accu steel building. is your floor dirt or cement?

LLBUX

It is a Brite Span.   

I have a gravel floor in the machinery area.  Will pour some concrete next spring.

I would recommend the manufacturer, but not my dealer (who shall remain nameless here)