Hope someone can help ??'s about how shorthorn steers grow.

Help Support Steer Planet:

mommacow

We have a DV shorthorn steer, when we bought him as a calf he was perfect, but now as we watch him grow I am concerned (and probably impatient) about how he is growing.  He just keeps getting taller and taller, and now seems to be narrow based.... He is a purebred he eats fairly well and weighs 947 pounds as of yesterday morning.  We did have an extremly hard winter (fact is we woke up to snow this morning, it is now gone). We are feeding Showrite finisher and adding steamed flaked corn to the top then topped off with 1 cup of milk replacer(he wont eat it unless we put in milk replacer).  We are feeding no different then we normally do at 3% of body weight.  We worm on a regular basis, he gets hand fed tied up so we know how much he is actually eating. We feed a ok quality of grass hay.  He is putting NO fat on anywhere his frame just keeps getting bigger and bigger.  Last week he did not gain more then .5 pounds per day.

We are looking at wanting him finished by County fair which is end of July, and then probably taking him on to State fair 3 weeks later around mid August.  What do you all think?   This is the first year we have fed the Showrite and I tend to try to blame the feed.

I will post pictures here in a little bit. I need a updated pic of him so I will go out and take one.

Thanks Mommacow

OH Breeder

I am not sure what is in your pre made feed as far as protein, but you need to decrease protein and increase fat. That will slow the grow. It will also burn the hair a bit. What is on the cow side with the double vision? Usually they are not that framey. Cow might be putting some size on him. What hieght is he now at age and what are you shooting for? The DV's we have had in past were easy to feed and fatten up quickly but where in that 50-51" hip height.

sjcattleco

OH is right...the milk replacer is almost pure protein.....get some goldenflo or something like that and juice up his feed.... you might also get a cheap crock pot and cook him some shelled corn or barley... that would put on some cover... OH is also right about the dam side  unless she was real moderate to small  this steer could end up a monster

chambero

Our finisher rations are around 5% fat, and I don't think we get them fat enough sometimes.  I bet that is your problem. 

In addition to Golden Flow or adding corn, there are some "solid" fat supplements from ADM (Fast Fat) or Show Feeds, Inc. (Final Cover) that we use that don't seem to cause them to get as loose as liquid oils or cause burnout like too much corn can.  We always feed extra corn at the end also, but you can put them off feed.  It sounds like he is already having that problem anyway. 

red

if you feed an oil, start out by just misting it onto the feed. Very lightly or as Chambero said you'll have them squirting all over the place. Too much can also make them go off feed. Sometimes adding cherry flavoring can help too. But take any addition of fat very slowly!

Red

sjcattleco

chambero said:
Our finisher rations are around 5% fat, and I don't think we get them fat enough sometimes.  I bet that is your problem. 

In addition to Golden Flow or adding corn, there are some "solid" fat supplements from ADM (Fast Fat) or Show Feeds, Inc. (Final Cover) that we use that don't seem to cause them to get as loose as liquid oils or cause burnout like too much corn can.  We always feed extra corn at the end also, but you can put them off feed.  It sounds like he is already having that problem anyway. 

What form are those in?? pellet?? does land o lakes have anything like that??

red

Scott- Land-o-lakes has their honor feeds for show cattle. They have a 35% pelleted product that is a supplement.  And a top dress product that is supposed to improve muscle. Also have the sweet textured feeds.
http://www.hoic.com/feed/honor_supplement.cfm

Fast Fat is made by Moorman's. It comes in a pelleted form & is top dressed.. Designed to provide a smooth finish to show animals.
http://www.admani.com/AllianceShowFeeds/FastFat.htm

Final cover is made by SFI & is also a topdress product. Final Cover™ is a high bypass fat and protein product designed to build a uniform, smooth fat cover along with a thick and glossy hair coat. The proteins and fats used in Final Cover™ are largely rumen non-degradable (bypass). This results in a product that does not interfere with normal rumen activity.
http://www.showfeedsinc.com/products/FinalCover.htm

Never say that Red does not provide a full service!
Mommacow- where abouts do you live? That might help with deciding on a product or company.

Red

OH Breeder

red said:
Scott- Land-o-lakes has their honor feeds for show cattle. They have a 35% pelleted product that is a supplement.  And a top dress product that is supposed to improve muscle. Also have the sweet textured feeds.
http://www.hoic.com/feed/honor_supplement.cfm

Fast Fat is made by Moorman's. It comes in a pelleted form & is top dressed.. Designed to provide a smooth finish to show animals.
http://www.admani.com/AllianceShowFeeds/FastFat.htm

Final cover is made by SFI & is also a topdress product. Final Cover™ is a high bypass fat and protein product designed to build a uniform, smooth fat cover along with a thick and glossy hair coat. The proteins and fats used in Final Cover™ are largely rumen non-degradable (bypass). This results in a product that does not interfere with normal rumen activity.
http://www.showfeedsinc.com/products/FinalCover.htm

Never say that Red does not provide a full service!

Red

we had a WHO Made WHO once that was hard doing. We put him on fast fat twice a day. Actually, my sister and her kids. They sat every morning and evening with pancake syrup and fast fat on the feed. The calf won rate of gain and was beyond finished. Give it a try. There is appetite express which sprinkle on feed- this should stimulate his appetite as well. We had good results with fast fat.

chambero

I didn't even think about recommending the implant.  Absolutely do that.  We use Revalor S.

shorthorns r us

thanks for the help there chambero.  i probably should have included which type.  revalor s is the only way to go.