horns

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

i have 2 heifers that are 5-6 months old. and the younger one has horns about 2 inches long and the older one's are about a 1/2 inch. what is the best way to get rid of them?? thanks a bunch

Show Heifer

Take them to a vet and have them dehorned...I personally have mine surgically done. This means the skin around the horn is numbed, then the vet takes a scalpel and cuts around the horn. They then take the dehorners and remove the horn. They can shape the head if you want the "polled" look, but they requires a hammer, chisel and removing bone (skull) and is a bit barbaric!!  After the horn is removed, the skin is stretched over the hole and stitched. The stitched part is usually 2-3 inches long.  After 7-10 days, you can remove the stitiches.  I have never had any problems with this method with infection or swollen heads. Cost is $30.
The other method is take the dehorners and cut out the horn, and leave the gaping hole to heal itself...usually 4 weeks or so. Risk of infection is high, and if the vet doesn't go deep enough, the horns can grwo back and look awful! Cost only $7-10.

Dehorn as early as you can....

Good luck!!

pigguy

what is the procedure called? i will call the vet tomarrow and see if he can

farmboy

we do it our selfs and havent had anyproblems, we just scoop em out and cauterize(sp) them with an iron. If you dont stitch them up you'll get the boxheaD LOOK.

Right now flys are pretty bad, we usually do it in december, actually when we weighed in last years fat steer he had been done a week before dec 15

OH Breeder

Surgical Dehorning is the best way to get a "pretty poll". When the chisel the head it really makes there poll look nice.

Show Heifer

Ask for surgical dehorning. Some vets do not do it, as it takes time and patience....but trust me, it is well worth the time and extra money, even if you don't want a "show polled head".

I personally just use polled bulls...thats the easiest way to dehorn!! ;D ;D

pigguy

Show Heifer said:
Ask for surgical dehorning. Some vets do not do it, as it takes time and patience....but trust me, it is well worth the time and extra money, even if you don't want a "show polled head".

I personally just use polled bulls...thats the easiest way to dehorn!! ;D ;D
well yeah that would be a good way also. but i bought these calves. one had 2 inch stubs, the other with 1 inch stubs and then another one has stubs that are like 1/4 inch. i will call and see if i can get it done, if not what should i have him do??

Show Heifer

If your vet doesn't do it, ask around at the show cattle producers around you....I am sure they know of someone that does it!!
Best of luck!

sawboss

In our neck of the woods it is called "Cosmetic Dehorning" when they shape the skull, if done right is beautiful.  We had it done last year on a steer at a cost of $150.  Have seen some that they took too much skull off and they looked like cartoon characters.

xkrushx

We had our show animals cosmo'd this year and they look fresher and youthful appearing longer. It definately pretties them up and takes away some of the cowy or bully look they can get when they get older. Definately a good investment and you can e-mail or message me one here if you can not find someone in your area to do it and I may be able to help you.

krush

pigguy

thanks a bunch everyone. they get cosmo'd at 2:30 today. they also get calf hood vaccinated. and then another ones goning bye bye but another one is takeing her place