HOT

Help Support Steer Planet:

Will

It is a little discouraging when you look at the 8 day forcast and the lowest high is 104.  Looks like it is going to get tougher.

ZNT

Will said:
It is a little discouraging when you look at the 8 day forcast and the lowest high is 104.  Looks like it is going to get tougher.

We are currently sitting at 20 consecutive days with highs of 100 or greater, and 10 day forecast calls for the same.  Already we have had 28 days over 100, and I know there were folks in the Witchita Falls area and SW Oklahoma that are way worse than we are.

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USTX1131

Jenny

I know it is much worse to be hot and dry but we are hot and very, very humid; very unusual for South Dakota.
Last night during the night the humidity was 90%.
Today it is sposed to be in the 70's for humidity and air temp of about 100 degrees.
tomorrow even hotter and humidity in the 60's; the temps don't let up until maybe next Thursday.
There will be cattle in the midwest here that will die; probably alot of them.
Last time I remember these conditions, our neighbors lost 98 fat steers; they just started falling over dead; they were market ready, they bunch up, they can't cool themselves in these conditions.
I just hope the feedlots are ready for this; I hope it doesn't get ugly but I am afraid it will.

Davis Shorthorns

according to weatherunderground.com yesterday at about 3:30 it was 103.5 and a heat index of 119.  No relief in sight either. 

mainecattlemother

We are from MN and I know it gets hot in the south but we are forcasted for a high of 100 tommorrow and about 90% humidity.  Our county fair is next week.  I am really afraid because our calves sit in a cooler made from a air conditioner and cool bot.  Granted we only keep it at 50 but I have heard of animals dropping dead at our state fair because they were raised in a cooler and not use to the heat.  I know the next four or five days on the outlook are 90+ days but it sounds like next weekend it may be okay.  We will pray.

DLD

mainecattlemother said:
We are from MN and I know it gets hot in the south but we are forcasted for a high of 100 tommorrow and about 90% humidity.  Our county fair is next week.  I am really afraid because our calves sit in a cooler made from a air conditioner and cool bot.  Granted we only keep it at 50 but I have heard of animals dropping dead at our state fair because they were raised in a cooler and not use to the heat.  I know the next four or five days on the outlook are 90+ days but it sounds like next weekend it may be okay.  We will pray.

You might want to consider turning the temp up in your cool room as your fair gets closer. Just a few degrees a day can help, so that they come from like 68 degrees to 90 instead of 50 to 90 - it's less of a shock to your calves.  Some folks keep them as cold as they can as long as they can, but I know a lot of people are firm believers in the more gradual transition.

kobo_ranch

It's so hot and dry here its depressing!  The only thing good is we aren't feeding show steers this year.  This central TX heat is so tough on the calves anyway I don't think I would have survived it!  I feel for you guys out there, and sure hope you have water.  Thank God for our good wells but if this drought keeps up we're not sure what's gonna happen!  IF any of you OKLAHOMA cowboys up there have any or know of any lease grass land PLEASE message us.  We're raising mainly dorper sheep these days, but have our cow herd right where we want them (pretty much) but if don't rain we're gonna have to find some grass for 'em.  Sure hate to sell these girls!

Okotoks

DLD said:
mainecattlemother said:

You might want to consider turning the temp up in your cool room as your fair gets closer. Just a few degrees a day can help, so that they come from like 68 degrees to 90 instead of 50 to 90 - it's less of a shock to your calves.  Some folks keep them as cold as they can as long as they can, but I know a lot of people are firm believers in the more gradual transition.
I have heard that if the temperature swing is over 20 degrees the chance of sickness is a lot greater. If thats true and I'm sure someone on SP has better info, then gradually raising the temp in the cool room might be a good idea.
I sure hope the weather starts to cool down and everyone gets some rain down there.

The Show

You should start bumping up the temp in your cooler for sure. Don't do it over night, but a little bit at a time over the next week.

justme

Hold onto your hats Missouri...the average high for the week is 99 degrees!  ugh our central air went out after Maine Jr. Naitonals and husband isn't to quick to get someone here so the cattle and lambs will be cooler than I will be! (lol)

The Show

We set a record yesterday. Twentieth straight day of topping 100+ degree heat, and the next 10 days is supposed to do the same.

jason

Jenny said:
I know it is much worse to be hot and dry but we are hot and very, very humid; very unusual for South Dakota.
Last night during the night the humidity was 90%.
Today it is sposed to be in the 70's for humidity and air temp of about 100 degrees.
tomorrow even hotter and humidity in the 60's; the temps don't let up until maybe next Thursday.
There will be cattle in the midwest here that will die; probably alot of them.
Last time I remember these conditions, our neighbors lost 98 fat steers; they just started falling over dead; they were market ready, they bunch up, they can't cool themselves in these conditions.
I just hope the feedlots are ready for this; I hope it doesn't get ugly but I am afraid it will.

Just got back from North Dakota, could not believe the humidity.  It was stickier there  than in Kansas.  It has been 100+ all week, but mainly a dry heat, won't be mowing the grass anytime soon.

Feel bad for all those folks in Nebraska and Iowa that are flooded, saw houses completely surrounded by water, could only imagine what it looks like when it crested.

DLD

kobo_ranch said:
It's so hot and dry here its depressing!  The only thing good is we aren't feeding show steers this year.  This central TX heat is so tough on the calves anyway I don't think I would have survived it!  I feel for you guys out there, and sure hope you have water.  Thank God for our good wells but if this drought keeps up we're not sure what's gonna happen!  IF any of you OKLAHOMA cowboys up there have any or know of any lease grass land PLEASE message us.  We're raising mainly dorper sheep these days, but have our cow herd right where we want them (pretty much) but if don't rain we're gonna have to find some grass for 'em.  Sure hate to sell these girls!

I sure sympathize, but you may need to look a little further away... We (and pretty much all of western OK, and some farther east) are hurtin' pretty bad, too.  It's gettin' pretty scarey.  The sale barns are overrun with cows every week as people finally run completely out of grass, water and hope.  The only bright spot is that the market is holding up good considering the unprecedented numbers of cows that are selling.  Still, when these cows are gone, it's gonna cost a bunch to replace 'em...

I do feel for those up north, too.  Hard as this is on us and our stock, at least we're used to it.  I can only imagine what'd be like to live with if you weren't.

jlingle

DLD, I feel your pain.  We're in Altus & it's been 100 or hotter here for somewhere around 50 days now.  It's getting harder to find hay.  Unfortunately, dad can't just haul his cow herd to the sale barn if it gets too tough.  He's gotta stick it out.  That's alright, I sure wouldn't want to miss this calf crop anyway.  Monopoly, Smiling Bob, Bojo, and Bullicious calves will start popping out regularly in about a month.  I can't wait.  My dad seems to think this will be the set of calves we've been waiting for.

The sale barns around here are starting to turn some folks away.  They simply can't hold all the cattle that're showing up.  It's a tough deal.  I keep thinking with all the cattle being sold, we might have a better shot at buying some hay, at least.  Maybe that'll be a bright spot.

HAB

It has been unusually hot and humid here in ND the last two weeks.  Highs in the upper 90's with 80% plus humidity.  I ran into a guy, from Gorgia, at our fair this last week.  He said our weather was muggier than down there.  I found that hard to believe.
I feel bad for everyone with suffering in the drought.  We have more grass and hay than I have seen in many years.  Our problem is we can get it put up, it stays as green and wet as the day you cut it, and we are gettiing sever thunderstorms every day.

steer-guy

So hot and dry here, let the dog out to go to the bathroom and the tree was chasing him around the yard.

ALTSIMMY 79

The big question is how many of the cows out there runnin with the bulls are gonna get bred or stay bred in this crap ? Not looking like a very good deal for a lot of the country.

jlingle

JWK said:
So hot and dry here, let the dog out to go to the bathroom and the tree was chasing him around the yard.

It's so dry here, I caught a stringer full of catfish the other day & they all had ticks.

kobo_ranch

Better to laugh than cry... but seriously I would like to know what some of you other guys that are really wondering if it don't rain soon what you're gonna do with your herd? (besides selling)
If any of you have any country we could lease or haul our girls to for the winter we'd sure like to know about it.  Just in case.